Johanna has extensive experience acting for individuals and corporates in a wide range of criminal proceedings. She has particular expertise in serious fraud and corruption cases, domestically and internationally. She has acted in a number of corporate internal investigations some of which resulted in self reports to regulators and prosecutors. In September 2017, Johanna was named by the Global Investigations Review (GIR) in the second edition of their 40 Under 40, a global list of 40 accomplished young investigations practitioners who will help shape the future of this fast-evolving area of law
Johanna has represented a range of corporates, from SMEs to FTSE 100 companies in relation to allegations of fraud and corruption.
Johanna has represented senior individuals in prosecutions brought by the SFO, FCA and CPS.
Johanna also has experience in FCA matters and has completed a secondment to an investment bank in London where she assisted the Group Head of Legal and Compliance to ensure the bank’s compliance with domestic and European financial services legislation.
Johanna specialises in advising corporates in domestic and cross border investigations, including:
- acting for Tesco Plc in the SFO’s investigation into accounting irregularities;
- advising a gambling operator in respect of its compliance with anti-money laundering and social responsibility controls in its retail and digital businesses, including conducting a critical review of these controls and reporting to the company and the Gambling Commission;
- acting for a company subject to a section 7 Bribery Act investigation in respect of failure to prevent bribes being paid to domestic public officials;
- advising a company in respect of questionable payments made to agents in Russia and the Middle East, including making disclosures to the SFO and DOJ;
- acting for a multi-national company under investigation by the SFO for global bribery and corruption offences;
- acting for Johnson & Johnson in relation to the SFO’s investigation into legacy corruption involving DePuy International Ltd.;
- assisting in a corporate internal investigation arising out of the SFO’s investigation into suspected facilitation payments in the shipping industry.
Johanna also has significant experience in assisting individuals, including:
- defending Andy Coulson in relation to allegations of conspiracy to intercept telecommunications and conspiracy to corrupt public officials whilst Editor of the News of the World;
- defending the Group Financial Accountant of Torex plc who was prosecuted by the SFO for conspiracy to defraud and false accounting following the collapse of Torex;
- representing a former director of compliance facing prosecution by the SFO for bribery and corruption; and
- representing a senior trader under investigation by the FCA and CFTC for alleged manipulation of Libor.
Professional societies and memberships
- Member of the Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Member of the London Criminal Courts Solicitors’ Association. (LCCSA)
Publications and press highlights
- Quoted in Financier Worldwide - Strengthening AML protection through AI - 1 July 2018
- Listed as a Rising Star in White Collar Crime, Expert Guides: Rising Stars 2018, 4th edition
- GamblingCompliance - Practical Guide: Anti-Money Laundering for Remote Casino Operators in the UK, February 2018
- Listed in the Global Investigation Review 40 under 40, September 2017
- Quote: Volkswagen Under Siege: Unprecedented Search, Unanswered Questions April 2017, Forbes
- Quote: Directors face criminal charges and unlimited fines under new regulation, April 2017, Financial Director
- Quote: New law forces big firms to come clean on gender pay gap, April 2017, The Times
- Quote: Companies to be on the hook to reveal details of how they pay suppliers, April 2017, City A.M.
- Global focus on bribery remains on the individual, October 2015, Solicitors Journal
- DPA corporate monitorships in the UK, September 2015, Global Investigations Review