"They are outstanding; they combine high-level legal skills with real human understanding."
Chambers UK 2021
We have a strong track record advising organisations on safeguarding, including on the statutory regime, best practice, and in responding to specific events and crises.
The heart of our approach is to help our clients take steps to ensure that children and adults are safe from harm, and to operate in a way which responds to their needs. We are recognised for acting sensitively and effectively.
How we can help
Our work spans from the advisory and preventative, to carrying out investigations, through to responding to regulatory and statutory scrutiny and inquiries.
A selection of work includes:
- Acting for independent schools, major religious institutions and senior individuals in connection with the Independent Inquiry into Child Sex Abuse (2014 – 2021) and the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry;
- Investigating allegations of abuse on behalf of sports clubs, associations and National Governing Bodies, as well as providing representation to organisations in disciplinary hearings;
- Advice to schools and religious institutions on reporting allegations, including to Social Services, the LADO, police, and other relevant regulators;
- Advising on codes of conduct, policies, procedures and responses to specific events where safeguarding failures are alleged;
- Advice on the Disclosure and Barring regime;
Our multi-disciplinary team is led by lawyers from our Public Law and Regulatory teams, drawing upon expertise from our Employment, Education, Data Protection, Family, Criminal Litigation and Media specialists.
If you need advice, please contact one of our specialist safeguarding solicitors.
Partner and Head of Department