“very hard-working, savvy and highly personable"
Who's Who Legal for Investigations - Future Leaders 2018
Caroline specialises in complex fraud and financial crime. She acts in cases of serious fraud, money laundering, corruption and cartels and has advised individuals and companies subject of investigations and prosecutions by various agencies including the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) (formerly the OFT).
Caroline acts for corporates in complex investigations. She has conducted numerous internal investigations on behalf of companies and has a particular interest in cross border cases. Her experience extends to Mutual Legal Assistance (MLA) requests and extradition.
In addition, Caroline specialises in representing individuals subject of a broad range of criminal and regulatory investigations. She has extensive experience representing clients in compulsory interviews with the authorities, internal investigation interviews and interviews with the police, often leading to successful outcomes for her clients at an early stage of a case.
Alongside her fraud and general crime practice, Caroline represents members of the Chief Police Officers Staff Association facing disciplinary inquiries. She has public law experience; Caroline represented a number of military witnesses before the Baha Mousa Public Inquiry, and is currently advising in connection with the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, led by Professor Alexis Jay.
Fraud, financial crime and regulatory cases, and cartels
- Advising individuals in relation to multi-jurisdictional SFO investigations, often including the involvement of overseas regulators
- Advising an individual in relation to an on-going FCA insider dealing investigation
- Advising individuals in relation to FCA compulsory interviews and section 2 interviews by the SFO
- Acting for a number of Chief Constables in relation to allegations of corruption and misconduct in public office and disciplinary issues
- Advising individuals in the FCA/SFO Libor and FX investigations
- Advising an individual in relation to an investigation by the OFT and EC involving allegations of alleged cartel activity.
- Advising in a case brought by the Italian authorities into allegations of fraud
- Conducting a number of internal investigations on behalf of corporates in relation to allegations of financial crime and misconduct including fraud, theft, corruption, money laundering and environmental crime.
- Advising clients in connection with the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, led by Professor Alexis Jay
- Acting for a number of military witnesses in the Baha Mousa Inquiry investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of an Iraqi citizen under the care of the Armed Forces
- Acting for a high profile individual in an Operation Yewtree investigation in allegations of historic sex abuse
- Acting for a member of the Armed Forces facing an allegation of rape. The client was acquitted.
Published articles and presentations
Contributor to The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations, Third Edition, published by Global Investigations Review
Quoted in New Law Journal, Follow the Money, 24 January 2018
Quoted in Financier Worldwide: OPBAS set to boost AML in the UK, October 2017
Contributor - Police updates for the Solicitor’s Journal.
- Regularly speaks at conferences and seminars both in the UK and abroad.
Professional societies and memberships
Professional, solicitous, honest, firm
Expert advice and interventions