Louise specialises in all fraud and business crime litigation, including investigations and prosecutions by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), the City of London Police (COLP) and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). She is a lead partner in the firm's Internal Investigations team and the Financial Services Group.
"Louise Hodges is a lead partner in the firm's internal investigations team and "one of the best around" in the eyes of our sources.... "If you can get her, get her" said one interviewee."
The International Who's Who Legal: Investigations, 2015
Louise is particularly well known for representing individuals subject to financial regulatory and/or criminal investigations for market abuse or market misconduct including insider dealing and misleading the market. Her cases frequently have an international dimension, including involving the Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and US Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) as well as many European regulators and prosecutors. She represents individuals embroiled in HMRC criminal investigations. She was part of the team representing Rebekah and Charlie Brooks in the phone hacking trial, in particular with regard to the allegations of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. She has recently been involved in representing individuals in the Libor, Euribor and FX investigations. She is part of the team representing Tesco in the SFO investigation.
Louise is experienced in advising companies and individuals with regard to internal investigations. She frequently represents witnesses being interviewed either by employers or by investigating authorities.
Louise also has public law experience including the Leveson Inquiry. She was the lead partner heading a team of lawyers representing a number of military witnesses in the Baha Mousa Public Inquiry.
She often advises early in an investigation to avoid criminal charges and either secure no further action or an alternative regulatory disposal. She has a track record of securing acquittals at trial.
Louise is currently the Vice Chair of the European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA). She has given evidence to the House of Lords Select Committee on the European Union and is regularly invited to attend various expert meetings in Europe covering subjects such the right to access to a lawyer, the European Public Prosecutions Office (EPPO), the European Investigation Order (EIO) and the European Arrest Warrant (EAW).
Louise is listed by Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence as Most Highly Regarded for Corporate Defence and Individual Defence and as a Thought Leader' 2017.
- Part of the team representing Tesco in the SFO investigation.
- Acting on behalf of a number of individuals in connection with the wide-ranging EURIBOR and LIBOR investigations and prosecutions being conducted by UK and overseas authorities and related regulatory and civil litigation.
- Acquittal of Rebekah and Charlie Brooks for offences arising from the investigation in to phone hacking at the News of the World.
- Assisting a global bank in relation to an internal investigation following leaks of confidential information.
- Advising a regulated company with regard to money laundering disclosure requirements.
- Representing various individuals accused by HM Revenue & Customs of fraudulent evasion of tax in their personal tax affairs.
- Advising individuals in the Davis Inquiry.
- Advising witnesses being interviewed either by employers or by investigating authorities using their compulsory powers, in particular the Serious Fraud Office and Financial Conduct Authority.
Professional societies and memberships
- Chair, Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Vice Chair, European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA)
- Co-Chair of the Steering Committee of the Global Forum on Corporate Criminal Liability (GFCCL)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the New Journal of European Criminal Law (NJECL)
- Financial Services Lawyers Association (FSLA)
Publications and press highlights
- Contributor to policy papers and consultations on behalf of the Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA), the Law Society, the European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA), the London Criminal Courts Solicitors Associtiation (LCCSA) and Kingsley Napley. Topics include SFO informal consultation on role of solicitors in s2 (compelled) interviews, HMRC consultation on tax offences, SFO/CPS consultation on the code of practice for deferred prosecution agreements, EU proposals on evidence gathering and admissibility, e-Justice, European Arrest Warrant, Fraud and Regulatory Offences.
- Joint author with Stephen Gentle of "Regulatory Offences" chapter in "Fraud: Law, Practice and Procedure" published by Lexis Nexis Butterworths, 2004
- Contributing Editor to the New Journal of European Criminal Law (NJECL)
- Enforcement procedures remodelled by Jonathan Blunden and Louise Hodges - Compliance Monitor, April 2017
- Quoted by Mark Taylor, Law 360 UK,UK Financial Crime Crackdown Hints At US-Style Prosecution, January 2017
- Quoted by New Law Journal, January 2017 . Government calls for corporate crime crackdown.
- Budget impact on tax avoidance, Louise Hodges writes for Economia, 17 March 2016
- Jail bankers for failure? The new criminal offence is an unworkable paper tiger, Louise Hodges writes in City A.M. 7 March 2016
- Westminster and Brussels raise the heat on corporate tax avoidance , blog for Economia, 9 February 2016 by Louise Hodges
- Listed by Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, Most highly Regarded, Corporate Defence and Individual Defence
- Listed by Who's Who Legal as a 'Thought Leader' 2017
- Listed in Global Investigations Review (GIR) Top 100 Women in Investigations Lawyers 2015
- Listed in directories including Chambers, International Who's Who, Legal 500
- Listed in The Lawyer's 2012 Hot 100 Lawyers
- Regularly invited to expert meetings by the European Commission, European Parliament and NGOs in relation to Criminal Justice in Europe
- Has given evidence to the House of Lords European Union Select Committee
"A highly rated white-collar crime specialist with an “absolutely terrific practice” focusing on SFO, FCA, COLP and HMRC investigations and proceedings."
Who’s Who Legal and GIR top lawyers for internal /external investigations, 2017
Chambers UK, 2017
"hugely knowledgeable with all of the criminal law experience you would hope for."
Chambers UK, 2017
"very strong on client relationships and a good tactician."
Chambers UK, 2017
..".The 'absolutely superb' Louise Hodges receives praise from market sources regarding her representation of individuals on contentious FS matters, which often draws upon her broader criminal expertise. Interviewees note in particular that she is"incredibly responsive and extremely thorough," and appreciate that "she will consider an issue from every angle..."
Chambers UK, A Clients Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2016
"Louise Hodges is a "market leadier", praised by her clients and peers alike for her "calm, insigtful and effective counsel" in relation to FCA, SFO and HM Revenue and Customs investigations."
Who’s Who Legal Investigations 2016
"a go-to for individuals under suspicion of fraud and business-related criminal proceedings. Sources say: "She's phenomenally hard-working, very personable and great with clients. She has good judgement and is not unrealistic in assessment of the case."
Chambers UK, A Clients Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2015
Read Louise Hodges' and Caroline Day's Chapter 'Witness Interviews: The UK Perspective' in GIR's Practitioner's Guide to Global Investigations