Louise represents individuals and companies embroiled in criminal proceedings in the UK. She is part of the team representing Tesco in the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) criminal investigation.
Louise is particularly well known for representing individuals subject to financial regulatory and/or criminal investigations for market abuse or market misconduct including insider dealing and misleading the market, mainly dealt with by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) or the SFO. She heads the KN Financial Services Group.
She often advises early in an investigation, aiming where possible to avoid criminal charges and either secure no further action or an alternative regulatory disposal. She has a track record of securing acquittals at trial.
Her cases frequently have an international dimension, including involving the US Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and US Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) as well as many European prosecutors and regulators, including Consob, BaFin, and FINMA, she has been involved in representing individuals in the Libor, Euribor and FX investigations and prosecutions. Louise represents individuals embroiled in HM Revenue and Customs criminal tax investigations. She was part of the team representing Rebekah and Charlie Brooks in the phone hacking trial, in particular with regard to the allegations of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
"Louise Hodges is a lead partner in the firm's internal investigations team and "one of the best around" in the eyes of our sources.... "If you can get her, get her" said one interviewee."
The International Who's Who Legal: Investigations, 2015
Louise is experienced in advising companies and individuals with regard to internal investigations and is part of the Kingsley Napley Corporate Investigations Group. She frequently represents witnesses being interviewed either by employers or by investigating authorities, including those being compelled to attend interviews.
Louise has public law experience, including the Leveson Inquiry and in the Baha Mousa Public Inquiry.
Louise was the first Chair of the Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA) and is currently the Immediate Past Chair. She was previously the Vice Chair of the European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA) which is a network of European criminal lawyers and is a member of the European Fraud and compliance Lawyers (EFCL). She was recently part of a Law Society working group looking at issues of Legal Professional Privilege. In 2018, she gave evidence to the House of Lords (HoL) Bribery Act 2010 Committee and previously gave evidence to the HoL Select Committee on the European Union.
Louise is listed by Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence 2018 and is recognised as a Global Elite Thought Leader for both Corporate and Individual Defence. She was also listed in Who's Who Legal's Business Crime Defence 2017 as Most Highly Regarded for Corporate Defence and Individual Defence and as a Thought Leader.
“a real market leader” who is described as “absolutely fantastic” when it comes to handling both corporate and individual defence work. One peer effuses: “There is nothing about criminal law that she doesn’t know.”
Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence 2018
- Part of the team representing Tesco in the SFO investigation.
- Conducting an independent investigation on behalf of an FCA regulated company.
- Advising a company in relation to disclosure requirements in a private prosecution.
- Advising a senior manager with regards to an FCA investigation into Anti Money Laundering systems and controls of a global bank.
- Securing “no further action” in relation to an FCA regulated individual investigated for allegations of not dealing with the regulator in an open and cooperative manner (Principle 4).
- Acting on behalf of a number of individuals in connection with the wide-ranging EURIBOR and LIBOR investigations and prosecutions being conducted by UK and overseas authorities and related regulatory and civil litigation.
- Representing an individual in the global investigation in to mirror trades and anti-money laundering controls at Deutsche Bank.
- Acting for an individual in the US and UK “London Whale” investigation related to JP Morgan.
- Acquittal of Rebekah and Charlie Brooks for offences arising from the investigation in to phone hacking at the News of the World.
- Assisting a global bank in relation to an internal investigation following leaks of confidential information.
- Advising a regulated company with regard to money laundering disclosure requirements.
- Representing various individuals accused by HM Revenue & Customs of fraudulent evasion of tax in their personal tax affairs.
- Advising individuals in the Davis Inquiry relating to press briefing of information in the FCA's 2014/15 Business Plan.
- Advising witnesses being interviewed either by employers or by investigating authorities using their compulsory powers, in particular the Serious Fraud Office and Financial Conduct Authority.
Professional societies and memberships
- Immediate past chair, Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Forever Vice Chair, European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA)
- Member of the European Fraud and Compliance Lawyers (EFCL)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the New Journal of European Criminal Law (NJECL)
- Financial Services Lawyers Association (FSLA)
What Clients and the directories say
"Thank you for your flawless handling of the FCA and your kind support. I think it’s greatly thanks to you that I still work in finance today. "
"experienced and quick on her feet" and say: "She really is fantastic.""
Chambers and Partners, 2018
"the ‘first choice for traders and other regulated persons who find themselves in the line of fire’. "
Legal 500, 2017
"comes “highly recommended” by market commentators, particularly for her excellent work representing individuals in relation to major FCA and SFO investigations."
Who’s Who Legal , Investigations 2018
"Blessed with ‘extraordinary emotional intelligence’,"
Legal 500, 2017
"is able to appreciate the finer points of corporate crime and FCA regulation, is very efficient and has very good judgement"
Chambers and Partners, 2017
"A highly rated white-collar crime specialist with an “absolutely terrific practice” focusing on SFO, FCA, COLP and HMRC investigations and proceedings."
Who’s Who Legal and GIR top lawyers for internal / external investigations, 2017
Chambers UK, 2017
"hugely knowledgeable with all of the criminal law experience you would hope for."
Chambers UK, 2017
"very strong on client relationships and a good tactician."
Chambers UK, 2017
..".The 'absolutely superb' Louise Hodges receives praise from market sources regarding her representation of individuals on contentious FS matters, which often draws upon her broader criminal expertise. Interviewees note in particular that she is"incredibly responsive and extremely thorough," and appreciate that "she will consider an issue from every angle..."
Chambers UK, A Clients Guide to the UK Legal Profession
"Louise Hodges is a "market leadier", praised by her clients and peers alike for her "calm, insigtful and effective counsel" in relation to FCA, SFO and HM Revenue and Customs investigations."
Who’s Who Legal Investigations
"hugely respected and admired" by peers and clients alike...one of the best out there, especially when it comes to cross-border cases....she is excellent to deal with"
Who's Who Legal Business Crime Defence 2017: Analysis
"a go-to for individuals under suspicion of fraud and business-related criminal proceedings. Sources say: "She's phenomenally hard-working, very personable and great with clients. She has good judgement and is not unrealistic in assessment of the case."
Chambers UK, A Clients Guide to the UK Legal Profession
Publications and press highlights
Recent press highlights
- Quoted in The Times, Brexit ‘will slow bribery policing’, March 2019
- Louise gave evidence to House of Lords Bribery Act 2010 Committee on 6 November, November 2018
- Quoted in The Law Society Gazette, ‘Big boys play by different rules’, anti-bribery probe hears, November 2018
- Listed as a Global Elite Thought Leader in Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence 2018
- Quoted in The Times, Insider dealing has gone on unpunished, lawyers claim, January 2018
- Featured in The Brief with Eve Giles, White collar crime duo hits the City, January 2018
- Listed as a Thought Leader under both corporate and individual defence in Who's Who Legal Business Crime Defence 2017 Analysis, September 2017
- New anti-money laundering regulations: as risk-based, Louise Hodges and Jonathan Grimes write for PLC Magazine, 1 August 2017
- What's New With Anti-Money Laundering Compliance in UK by Louise Hodges - Law360, 3 July 2017
- Quoted by Richard Crump, Law 360, UK Law To Fight AML, Terrorist Financing Comes Into Force, June 2017
- Quoted by Commercial Dispute Resolution (CDR), Not just a cosy fireside chat, June 2017
- Quoted by Max Walters, Law Gazette, Law Society slams SFO 'restrictions' on representation, May 2017
- Quoted by Mark Taylor, Law 360 UK, Never Mind the Brexit: FCA Sets Real Priorities For the City, April 2017
- Enforcement procedures remodelled by Jonathan Blunden and Louise Hodges - Compliance Monitor, April 2017
- Quoted by Mark Taylor, Law 360 UK,UK Financial Crime Crackdown Hints At US-Style Prosecution, January 2017
- Quoted by New Law Journal, Evidence calls for corporate crime crackdown, January 2017
- Quoted by Waithera Junghae, Global Investigations Review, UK examines case for expanding corporate criminal liability to economic crime, January 2017
- Quoted in Solicitors Journal, Lawyers split over consultation on reform of corporate crime, January 2017
- The Practitioner's Guide to Global Investigations 3rd Edition, chapter on 'Witness Interviews: The UK perspective. With Caroline Day. Published February 2019.
- The Practitioner's Guide to Global Investigations 2nd Edition, chapter on 'Witness Interviews: The UK perspective. With Caroline Day. Published February 2018.
- Gentle & Hodges: 'Kingsley Napley: Serious Fraud Investigations & Trial' 4th Ed Lexis Nexus Butterworths April 2009
- Contributor to policy papers and consultations on behalf of the Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA), the Law Society, the European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA), the London Criminal Courts Solicitors Associtiation (LCCSA) and Kingsley Napley. Topics include SFO informal consultation on role of solicitors in s2 (compelled) interviews, HMRC consultation on tax offences, SFO/CPS consultation on the code of practice for deferred prosecution agreements, EU proposals on evidence gathering and admissibility, e-Justice, European Arrest Warrant, Fraud and Regulatory Offences.
- Contributing Editor to the New Journal of European Criminal Law (NJECL)
- Listed in the new Who’s Who Legal: Global Elite Thought Leaders listings for both Corporate and Individual Defence 2018 - a highly select group of individuals.
- Listed by Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, Most highly Regarded, Corporate Defence and Individual Defence
- Listed by Who's Who Legal as a 'Thought Leader' 2017
- Listed in Global Investigations Review (GIR) Top 100 Women in Investigations Lawyers 2015
- Listed in directories including Chambers, International Who's Who, Legal 500
- Listed in The Lawyer's 2012 Hot 100 Lawyers
- Regularly invited to expert meetings by the European Commission, European Parliament and NGOs in relation to Criminal Justice in Europe
- Has given evidence to the House of Lords European Union Select Committee