Jonathan is a criminal lawyer specialising in serious and complex criminal cases. His practice includes all areas of financial services and business crime as well as health and safety and related areas. He also continues to advise in a wide variety of other criminal law matters with a particular emphasis on cases with an international aspect, including war crimes and related work. He provides advice during investigations, attending hundreds of interviews of many different kinds in the course of his career, and is experienced in defending prosecutions brought by a range of law enforcement agencies.
In the area of white collar crime he has considerable expertise in cases involving alleged financial wrongdoing with experience of investigations by SFO, FCA, HMRC, BIS, NCA and police as well as a number of foreign investigative authorities. Amongst other things he is frequently appointed to act as Independent Legal Advisor (ILA) to individuals interviewed in the course of investigations by their employers or regulators. He has acted in this capacity for more than 40 individuals in the past three years. Jonathan is the firm’s Money Laundering Nominated Officer.
In relation to Health and Safety and Corporate Manslaughter, Jonathan represents companies and individuals during the initial police and Health and Safety Executive investigation, through to the conclusion of cases at inquests or in the criminal courts. He also acts in cases investigated by the Environment Agency, Fire and Rescue Authorities, the Marine and Coastguard Agency, the Civil Aviation Authority and Air Accident Investigation Branch.
Jonathan provides advice and representation in respect of war crimes and related allegations, including universal jurisdiction matters - allegations which can be investigated and prosecuted in the UK even if neither the alleged offence nor those involved have any connection with the UK. He is the immediate past Co-Chair and Advisory Board Member of the IBA War Crimes Committee.
Jonathan joined Kingsley Napley in 2002 and became a partner in 2010.
- Representation of individual in NCA cash seizure matter
- Representation of foreign politician in NCA corruption investigation
- Representation of employee of company in compelled interview conducted by the SFO
- Representation of company chairman in SFO fraud investigation
- Advising auction company in relation to AML and POCA matters
- Representation of bank employee in overseas investigation into market manipulation
- Representation of bank employee in internal investigation into information supplied to regulators
- Representation of in-house lawyer in offences against public justice matter
- Representation of bank employee in HMRC investigation of historic film scheme
- Representation of fund manager in overseas investigation into market manipulation
- Representation of employee in SFO compelled interview (using POCA powers)
- Representation of in-house lawyer in SFO corruption investigation
- Representation of accountant in FCA investigation into market abuse
- Representation of bank employees in compelled interviews conducted by the SFO
- Representation of judge in offences against public justice matter
- Representation of fund managers in compelled interviews conducted by the FCA
- Representation of bank employees in investigation into allegations of anti-competitive behaviour
- Representation of newspaper in relation to criminal allegation
- Representation of traders and other bank employees in company interviews and interviews with foreign regulators into alleged wrongdoing in FX trading
- Representation of bank employee in Mutual Legal Assistance request from overseas jurisdiction
- Representation of employees of large multi-national in compelled interviews conducted by the SFO
- Representation of finance director in SFO corruption investigation
- Representation of employee of insurance company in investigation by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
- Advising a company on its AML and other reporting obligations upon discovery of suspected employee wrongdoing
- Advising businesses and individuals on their reporting and other obligations under UK AML law
Health and Safety and other Regulators
- Representation of prison officer in police investigation following prison death
- Representation of international construction vehicle manufacturing company following serious accident
- Representation of business owner in large Trading Standards prosecution (including successful challenge to the imposition of a restraint order)
- Representation of farmer in animal welfare case
- Representation of international engineering company following accident in which four people died
- Representation of numerous employees in various HSE investigations into fatal and non-fatal accidents
- Representing the “Responsible Person” (under fire regulations) following large fire in retail premises
- Representation of Chairman and FD of recycling company facing allegations of breaches of environmental law (includes financial restraint proceedings)
- Representing owner of a hotel in investigation into alleged breaches of fire safety regulations following a fire
International Criminal Law
- Representation of Colonel Kumar Lama, a Colonel in the Nepalese army on charges of torture, following his arrest in the UK
- Advising various individuals on risk of prosecution in UK for war crimes and related allegations
- Advising witnesses in the Baha Mousa Public Inquiry into mistreatment of prisoners in Iraq
- Representation of numerous individuals facing general criminal allegations including sexual offences and violence (including murder)
- Advising a school in relation to allegations made against head master
- Representation of soldiers facing allegations arising from various historic fatal incidents.
What Clients and directories say
"receives praise for his 'great attention to detail and extremely savvy approach'; he regularly acts for clients in police and HSE investigations, inquests and in the criminal courts"
Legal 500 UK 2019
"receives widespread plaudits from peers who praise his expert handling of investigations from a range of regulatory bodies including the SFO, HMRC and FCA."
Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence 2018
"internationally recognised as a leading name in the field of corporate investigations, and focuses his impressive practice on financial and white-collar crime matters."
Who's Who Legal, Investigations 2018
"a sound knowledge’ of health and safety matters, including corporate manslaughter."
Legal 500, 2017
"The “terrific” Jonathan Grimes is well known for his strong expertise handling investigations of authorities from the SFO to the FCA and HMRC""
Who's Who Legal, Business Crime Defence 2017
"an "extensive knowledge of POCA," and is "a delight to work with." "
Chambers UK, 2017
"incredibly committed." "You would feel very reassured if you were a client and Jonathan was supervising."
Chambers and Partners, 2017
"The "very impressive" Jonathan Grimes of Kingsley Napley LLP is a criminal lawyer with extensive experience representing clients under investigation and facing prosecution by a number of regulatory authorities with regard to serious and fatal incidents."
Chambers and Partners, 2018
"...determined and very hard-working" Jonathan Grimes has experience in universal jurisdiction disputes. Commentators report: "He is fiercely intelligent, and has a concise thought process and impressive knowledge of the law..."
Chambers UK, A Clients Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2016
"The "excellent"Jonathan Grimes continues to be a "formidable" figure in the proceeds of crime and asset forfeiture space...'"
Chambers UK, A Clients Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2016
"Jonathan Grimes has much experience in acting for major corporate clients in relation to accidental death cases. Clients say he provides "first-class, tactical advice"
Chambers UK, A Clients Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2015
"...'sensational' on matters relating to financial services crime and receives widespread praise for his 'impressive depth of expertise' and 'international mindset'."
Who's Who Legal, Business Crime Defence 2015
"Jonathan Grimes is "formidably skilful and effective"
Who's Who Legal, Investigations, 2015
“is held in high esteem by peers, and represents clients in high-profile criminal matters"
Chambers UK, A Clients Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2014
"Jonathan Grimes is widely admired as a 'feisty, sensible,careful and effective solicitor'. Clients include leading companies in the construction sector”
Legal 500 UK, 2014
''...brings a level of gravitas to cases...’'
Legal 500 UK, 2015
Professional societies and memberships
Recent Articles, bulletins, and press comment
- Why the International Criminal Court should be supported, The Times, 19 July 2018
- New anti-money laundering regulations: as risk-based, Louise Hodges and Jonathan Grimes write for PLC Magazine, 1 August 2017
- Quoted in Accountancy Online, 14 July 2017, Doing time: How judges decide criminal sentences in tax fraud cases
- Quoted in The Brief, 26 June 2017, Law firms await advice over beefed up money laundering rules
- Essentials: Criminal Finances Act 2017 and corporate offence for tax evasion, Accountancy magazine, June 2017
- 'Unexplained wealth orders', Tax Journal, 26 May 2017
- 'Corporate manslaughter case offers lessons for other SMEs', Real Business, 12 Nov, 2014
- 'Autoclave specialist convicted of corporate manslaughter', H&S Matters, 10 Nov, 2014
- '£500,000 fine in corporate manslaughter decision, Solicitors Journal, 10 Nov, 2014
- 'Remove juries from fraud trials? Bad idea', The Law Society Gazette, 5 August 2014
- 'Importance of Trial by Jury', The Huffington Post UK, 18 March 2014
- People Management Magazine - Corporate manslaughter cases increase 16.04.13
- Tomorrow's Health & Safety Magazine - the risks of further cost cutting
- Health & Safety Matters - The Corporate Manslaughter Act: why only 2 prosecutions after 4 years? (1 May 2012)