The evolution of technology in a lightly regulated environment has driven the expansion of the cryptoasset market in recent years. This growth, in tandem with an exponential increase in the potential applications of blockchain, has resulted in a whole new digital economy bringing with it complex and novel legal issues for regulators as well as those operating in this space.
What Are CryptoAssets?
Cryptoassets are essentially electronic currencies which are offered as an alternative to centralised national currencies, the first and arguably most famous of which is Bitcoin.
The term cryptoasset also tends to be used as a catch-all for any form of digital asset that exists solely within the internet. A cryptoasset uses cryptography, peer to peer networking and distributed ledger technology (DLT) that regulates the creation of any new units. DLT also helps verify transactions and secures them without the need of any involvement from a third party.
Specialist crypto asset legal expertise
Our team of specialist crypto asset lawyers bring together legal expertise from multiple disciplines across the firm, including our corporate and commercial, regulatory, dispute resolution, criminal, family and employment practices. Our integrated team are able to advise on:
- Control and ownership of crypto assets
- Tracing crypto assets
- Fraud relating to crypto assets
- Valuation of crypto assets
- Crypto assets and the regulatory perimeter
- Investigations by the FCA and other regulators and law enforcement agencies
- Advising on Security Token Offerings (STOs) and Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs) including:
- Reviewing and advising on the contents of whitepapers
- Drafting and advising on the terms of contribution agreements to issue coins and tokens
- Reviewing and advising on the terms and conditions of coin and token platform exchanges
- Anti-money laundering (AML) and Know Your Customer (KYC) compliance advice
- Wills and Trust advice in relation to crypto assets
Our recent crypto asset experience includes:
- Advising on contractual disputes in relation to crypto wallets and trading accounts
- Advising an investor on the terms of a Contribution Agreement relating to the issue of security tokens linked to financial derivatives.
- Acting on a multi-jurisdictional fraud claim involving the purchase of crypto assets
Financial Regulatory Litigation
Partner and Head of Department
Corporate and Commercial
Corporate and Commercial
Criminal Defence and Police Investigations
Family and Divorce