"They're one of the firms that is right at the top of the scale. They're very experienced in handling the big cases. They're extremely well resourced and I've never had anything other than a good experience with them."
Chambers UK 2020 – A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession
We have a long track record of defending and advising in bribery and corruption investigations, acting for both individuals and corporates.
We have years of experience advising suspects and witnesses in bribery and corruption investigations, whether company internal investigations or those brought by UK agencies such as the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) or National Crime Agency (NCA) and overseas agencies, such as the US Department of Justice (DoJ).
Our extensive experience in acting in extradition proceedings means that we are particularly skilled in advising in multi-jurisdictional and overseas corruption investigations.
We understand the need for individuals to be independently represented at the earliest stages of the investigation and will advise on strategy in interviews, whether those interviews are company interviews, compelled interviews (such as section 2 interviews with the SFO), voluntary interviews or interviews under caution.
In addition to our considerable experience of defending individuals at trial, we have also been involved in advising on plea agreements with the SFO under the terms of the AG Guidelines.
We have acted for individuals in some of the most well-known corruption cases of recent years, including BAE, PWS, Innospec, Swift, Rolls Royce, GPT, Balfour Beatty, DePuy, MacMillan, Cash for Honours, Mabey & Johnson and Operation Elveden.
Every company doing business in the UK needs to be aware of the 2010 Bribery Act which provides a corporate offence of failing to prevent bribery.
Where a company suspects bribes may have been paid on its behalf by its employees, agents, intermediaries or subsidiaries, it should investigate those allegations so as to understand what has happened and so that it can begin to address any issues.
We can act with your existing lawyers or independently to advise on how to conduct an internal investigations into such allegations.
We understand that companies need to try to conclude investigations quickly, so that they can get on with developing their businesses. It is also potentially advantageous from a legal perspective to take swift action. The SFO has the ability to enter into Deferred Prosecution Agreements with companies that self-report and / or provide considerable assistance to the authorities. Assessing the size of the problem and considering whether to report it to the authorities is therefore an important decision that needs to be taken early on. he tone of an investigation and the interaction with the authorities needs to be set at the outset in order to achieve a favourable outcome.
We are experienced in conducting cross border investigations and have a network of lawyers and investigation firms who can assist with the investigations and advise on the law and customs in other jurisdictions.
WHAT CLIENTS AND DIRECTORIES HAVE SAID
They are undoubtedly a really major player in this section. They are definitely focused on high net worth and have a good depth of expertise of criminal law."
Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2020
They have an excellent reputation, they have a very broad team and they have strength in depth."
Chambers UK 2020 - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession
Straddles the overlap between contentious regulatory work and financial crime."
Chambers UK 2020 - A Client's Guide to the UK Legal Profession
The criminal litigation department at Kingsley Napley LLP is instructed in several SFO investigations. The group has ‘a very strong stable of partners’"
Real expertise across all levels, well led and offering practical advice with no histrionics or game playing."
Chambers UK, 2017
The criminal litigation department at Kingsley Napley LLP continues to ‘hold its own against the Magic Circle firms’."
...'Pioneers in the area, with a wealth of expertise'."
Chambers UK, A Clients Guide to the UK Legal Profession
Cases we have been involved in:
- DePuy (civil settlement)
- Advised a foreign state in respect of corruption and anti-money laundering laws
- S7 Bribery Act investigation into a company in the IT sector. Acted for the company
- Represented a former director of Alstom International Ltd
- Advised a former Director of MacMillan Publishing
- Represented Silvio Berlusconi in UK MLA proceedings regarding corruption allegations in Italy
- Represented senior individuals in relation to the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) investigation both into the BAE Systems/Al Yamamah contracts and other European contracts
- Acted for the former CEO of PWS, who entered into a plea agreement with the SFO for overseas corruption
- Advised individuals in relation to the Metropolitan Police investigation into political donations in return for the award of a peerage (Cash for Honours)
- representing an MP during the police investigation into home office leaks
- Represented Senior Executives of Innospec plc
- Acting for David Mabey (Mabey & Johnson)
- Acted for an individual in the Jubilee line extension fraud trial
- Acted for an individual in relation to the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) investigation into corruption involving a major Norwegian oil company (Statoil)
- Acted for individuals in respect of investigation into contracts in Khazakstan and the Congo
- Misconduct in public office (Operation Elveden) acted for Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson
- Represented individuals in the Plassar rail prosecution and also for Harry Greenway M.P.
- R v Behag and others – successfully represented a director of a food company accused of corruption who was not prosecuted.
Other internal investigations
- Internal investigation for a charity looking into allegations of corruption.
- Internal investigation for a joint venture company involved in a takeover in respect of legacy corruption issues.
- Corruption investigation, acting for two individuals in connection with an education college paid by local government for allegedly false training outcomes.
Partner and Head of Department
Practice Development Lawyer
Michael Caplan QC
Practice Development Lawyer
Senior Associate (Barrister)
Regarded as one of the best financial crime firms."
Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2020
One of the premier white collar defence teams in London."
Legal 500 UK 2020
They are a really excellent firm and they have very talented people. They provide an excellent service."
Chambers and Partners, 2019