Sophie is a senior associate with extensive experience in advising corporate and individual clients involved in a wide range of internal, criminal and regulatory investigations and public inquiries.
Environment Law, Health and Safety and Trading Standards
Sophie has acted for companies, company directors and employees caught up in domestic and international investigations led by the Environment Agency, Health and Safety Executive and Trading Standards in relation to a variety of offences concerning breaches of advertising standards legislation, unfair trading, health and safety breaches and allegations of illegal shipments of waste.
White collar crime: Domestic & International
Sophie has worked on large-scale and complex cases of serious fraud and money laundering brought by the SFO, US DoJ, FCA and HMRC. A number of these cases have had multi-jurisdictional aspects, encompassing requests for Mutual Legal Assistance, INTERPOL red notices and extradition. Sophie also advises on POCA 2002 and, in particular, individuals impacted by restraint and confiscation proceedings.
Public Inquiries and Human Rights Law
Sophie has worked on large scale public inquiries (for example representing core participants in the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) and advised on the international obligations placed upon non-State actors under the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
Over the past few years, Sophie has worked alongside our Dispute Resolution team, providing criminal law advice in civil appeals to the Supreme Court.
Prior to joining Kingsley Napley, Sophie practised at 2 Bedford Row, instructed as defence and prosecuting counsel for the CPS, Department for Work and Pensions and the Probation Service. Alongside presenting cases at court, Sophie drafted legal arguments and advised on charging decisions.
White collar crime
- Representing of bank employee in HMRC investigation of historic film scheme
- Representing former CFOs and a director of a multinational company in relation to a DoJ investigation
- Representing of a Non-Executive Director of a listed company investigated by the FCA
- Representing clients in corruption investigations/prosecution in the Turks and Caicos Islands
- Acting for senior business people in compelled s2 SFO interviews
Environment Law, Health & Safety and Trading Standards
- Representing a company in respect of alleged breaches of the Transfrontier Shipment of Waste Regulations 2007 and Environmental Protection Act 1990
- Representing a number of employees in relation to an HSE investigation regarding a non-fatal accident
- Acting for a business owner in various Trading Standards prosecutions (including allegations of conspiracy to defraud and money laundering) and requests for enforcement undertakings in relation to fraud offences and breaches of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2002
- Representing a company director accused of offences under the Hallmarking Act 1979, Trade Marks Act 1994 and breaches of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2002
Animal rights issues and welfare offences
- Advising a multi-national corporate experiencing harmful animal rights protests
- Advising individuals accused of causing unnecessary suffering to protected wildlife under the Animal Welfare Act 2006
- Representing soldiers facing allegations arising from various historic fatal incidents
- Providing criminal law advice on dishonesty to our Dispute Resolution team and counsel, acting for Genting Casinos, in the landmark Supreme Court win
- Acting for individuals suspected of misconduct in public office and perverting the course of justice
- Acting for witnesses involved in investigations concerning misconduct in public office and perverting the course of justice
- Acting for individuals accused of serious sexual offences (including prosecutions conducted by Operation Yewtree) and allegations of violence
Professional societies and memberships
- BACFI: Bar Association for Commerce, Finance and Industry
- YFLA: Young Fraud Lawyers’ Association
- DELF: Defence Extradition Lawyers’
- UKELA: UK Environmental Law Association
- SEAL: Society of English & American Lawyers
- Featured in Middle Temple’s 2019-2020 ‘Celebrating a Century of Women in Law’ exhibition
- Kalisher Trust Scholar, 2011
- Middle Temple Jules Thorn Scholar, 2009 and 2010
- Called to the Bar 2011