Alun is a partner in the Criminal Litigation team and specialises in serious or complex financial crime, proceeds of crime litigation and corporate investigations. He has particular knowledge and experience of issues surrounding cross border criminal investigations, corporate crime and deferred prosecution agreements.
Since joining the firm in 2019 he has advised clients under investigation by the Serious Fraud Office, the National Crime Agency and the police on a wide range of financial crime and proceeds of crime - related matters. He has also acted as an independent legal adviser on internal investigations and, separately, helped conduct a major cross border internal investigation.
Alun joined Kingsley Napley from the public sector where, over a twenty-six year career as a government lawyer and public prosecutor, he worked in a wide variety of roles including General Counsel at the Serious Fraud Office, the Crown Prosecution Services’ Head of Organised Crime, its Head of Proceeds of Crime and Revenue and Customs Prosecutions Office’s Head of Asset Forfeiture Division. He also worked as a prosecutor in central London and a lawyer in the Attorney General’s Office. He therefore brings to the firm and his clients a deep understanding of the prosecutor’s perspective.
Alun is a regular commentator on financial crime issues. He also sits on the Board of Advisers of New York University's Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement.
Publications, press Highlights & Speaking engagements
- Alun Milford, Caroline Day, Aine Kervick & Phil Salvesen contribute to the International Comparative Legal Guide: Corporate Crime - January 2021
- Corporate Crime & Investigations Insights Podcast: Episode 2, Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Part 2 - December 2020
- Getting the deal through: discussing anti-corruption in the UK - Wrote for Lexology, December 2020
- UK Governments fence sitting approach to reforms of corporate criminal liability laws - Quoted in various sources, November 2020
- Companies House powers boosted to tackle £137bn dirty money deficit - Quoted in Accountancy Daily, September 2020
- Panel Speaker for THEMIS on the topic of: Dealmaking, Due Diligence and Investigations in Uncertain Times - September 2020
- Corporate Crime & Investigations Insights Podcast: Episode 1, Deferred Prosecution Agreements - September 2020
- Will the Economic Crime Levy bring much needed investment in the fight against economic crime? - August 2020, This was also published on Money Laundering Bulletin
- Unexplained Wealth Orders, Explained: The UK regime and considerations for the United States, Part 2 - August 2020, co-authored a blog with Alicyn Cooley, Executive Director of the Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement and an Adjunct Professor of Law at New York University School of Law
- Managing Internal Investigations in a post COVID-19 world - Wrote for Legal 500 Crisis Management Special, July 2020
- Unexplained Wealth Orders, Explained: The UK regime and considerations for the United States, Part 1 - July 2020, co-authored a blog with Alicyn Cooley, Executive Director of the Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement and an Adjunct Professor of Law at New York University School of Law
- Panel speaker for The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) on the topic of: Unexplained Wealth Orders: A Game-Changer or a Distraction? - 9 June 2020
- Appeared on BBC World Service Radio discussing new rules requiring all people arriving in the UK to self-isolate for 14 days - 8 June 2020 (Timestamp from 17:20 on video)
- Business and Government should brace for wave of fraud - Quoted in The Telegraph, April 2020
- Alun Milford quoted extensively following Government's announced proposals to introduce an economic crime levy - Quoted in Legal Business, CityAM, Law360, FT.com, The Law Society Gazette, New Law Journal & International Investment, March 2020
- Kingsley Napley team are contributing editors to Lexology Getting the Deal Through - Asset Recovery 2020 - Contributor, February 2020
- Connected compliance in a Global Market: Essential Elements of an Effective Compliance & Ethics Programme 2019 - Alun spoke on a panel about what authorities expect to see in your compliance programme, 11 November 2019
- When justice takes a holiday - Quoted in Law360, September 2019
- SFO guidance on co-operation: more carrot than stick? - PLC Magazine, August 2019
- Economic Crime Plan for 2019-2020 - Quoted in The Law Society Gazette, GIR and Commercial Dispute Resolution Online, July 2019
- DPAs: good deals or a two-tier system? - Quoted in the Times, June 2019
- UK is failing in the fight against money laundering - Quoted in The Times, March 2019
- Estate agents come under the HMRC spotlight, March 2019
- Featured in The Times, No-deal is a backwards step for solving crossborder crime, February 2019