Registering Children as British Citizens

The option to naturalise as a British citizen is only available to individuals aged 18 or over. Therefore, if you have a child for whom you would like to obtain British citizenship, it will be necessary to make an application to register them as a British citizen.

Typically if you and your spouse/civil partner are applying to naturalise as British citizens, any children you have will also be able to register as British citizens at the same time, provided they hold indefinite leave to remain. If your children are aged 13 or older the Home Office will expect them to have been living in the UK for a period of at least two years prior to making the application.

For any children you have who were born in the UK prior to you obtaining indefinite leave to remain, they will acquire an entitlement to be registered as a British citizen as soon as you are granted indefinite leave to remain (without you yourself naturalising as a British citizen). In addition for any children you have who are born in the UK after you have been granted indefinite leave to remain, they will acquire British citizenship at birth.

Recent examples of work

  • Successfully assisting a mother to register her child as a British citizen where she had received a refusal due to discrepancies with her documents and evidence of her immigration status in the UK.
  • Advising and assisting an EEA national on a British citizenship application for his daughter who had been born in the UK after he obtained permanent residence.


For more information about our immigration services please contact Nicolas Rollason at or a member of the team.

Always prompt and factual’" Kingsley Napley LLP provides "an excellent level of service"

Legal 500 UK

"Kingsley Napley leads the immigration outfits in the UK"

Who's Who Corporate Immigration

​"Interviewees agree that Kingsley Napley is home to a superb team of immigration lawyers"

Chambers UK, A Client's Guide to the UK Legal Profession

Registering Children as British Citizens Insights

View all


Brexit – take back control over your immigration status

Parenting under immigration and family law - Sole responsibility is outdated and at odds with the Children Act

Will Windrush help reset attitudes to immigration?

International surrogacy - the legal challenges for US nationals bringing a surrogate child to the UK

Brexit and relocating with children overseas – mind the immigration and family law gaps

Close Load more

Skip to content Home About Us Insights Services Contact Accessibility