"Their support is tailored to clients' needs and they are very transparent and fair about how they work and what it will cost."
Sarah Turner, Angel Academe
We specialise in acting for entrepreneurs, owner managed businesses (OMBs) and investors. We advise in relation to corporate transactions, banking, financing, commercial contracts and on all aspects of running and growing a business in the UK. Our lawyers combine strong technical expertise with a track record in delivering flexible and creative solutions for our clients.
Much of our advice is for early stage companies and startups in the technology and media sectors or for those investing in such entities. We host and sponsor Angel Academe, an award-winning network of angel investors whose members are mainly women, and which primarily invests in UK businesses led by women.
We also work closely with our Real Estate team to advise those investing in or developing commercial property on all of their financing, banking and related security issues.
On the corporate side, we advise on angel/VC/private equity investments, mergers & acquisitions, re-organisations, shareholder agreements and listings on junior stock markets in the UK (ISDX and AIM). Much of our work relates to the technology and media sectors, although we also advise businesses operating in real estate, sport, fashion, travel, publishing and engineering. Read more about our corporate transaction services.
Commercial and contractual
We will support you with commercial advice on all aspects of running your business and on your relationships with customers and suppliers, and we can draft all those contracts which you require. In particular, we advise on intellectual property, branding, data protection, agency and distribution arrangements, sponsorship, and franchising. Read more about how our commercial advice may assist you.
We have many years of experience of advising on the legal issues which arise from running a technology business. Our advice may be of a general nature, or you may wish us to draft or comment upon technology agreements. Our aim is always to protect your rights and to allow you to realise the maximum value from your technology assets. Read more about how we advise technology businesses.
We act for startup companies, as well as for those VCs, angel syndicates and individual angels making investments. We have particular experience of acting for founders: not only in terms of guiding them through the investment process, but also in resolving problems which may have arisen in earlier rounds. Read more about how we help startups.
Setting Up Your Company or LLP
We will help you to take the necessary steps to establish your business in the UK, whether you wish to set up a new venture or expand an overseas operation. Our business services teams work closely with other specialists to take care of all your initial and ongoing legal and operational needs, allowing you to focus on selling your products or services. Read more about how we can help you set up your company or LLP.
Banking and Finance
Our banking and financing advice is primarily to entrepreneurs, owner managed businesses and funds on the borrower side, though we also advise a number of smaller banks. We also advise on any related security, and in relation to acquisition finance, the leveraged loan market, and development/real estate finance. Read more about how we can advise on banking and finance.
Our Recent Work
- Advising a financial services startup on an SEIS seed fund raise (March 2017);
- Advising an international market research firm on the sale of its assets to a large multi-national (February 2017);
- Acting for a Private Family Office on the de-enveloping of property from offshore corporate structures (December 2016 and February 2017);
- Advising a high profile sportsman on various endorsement and sponsorship agreements (continuing);
- Advising a senior lender on a £20m development finance transaction to fund the construction of 200 residential units (January 2017);
- Advising a startup in luxury fashion on an SEIS seed fund raise (January 2017);
- Advising a German renewable energy company in relation to its acquisition of four solar farms (December 2016);
- Advising a debt fund on a Eurobond listing of its debt instruments (December 2016);
- Advising an insurance provider on a re-organisation, including on a number of share buybacks (December 2016);
- Advising a Luxembourg borrower on the £12m re-financing of its UK commercial property portfolio (December 2016);
- Acting in relation to the sale of a company which held a high value residential property based in Mayfair, London (November 2016);
- Acting for a Private Family Office on the £75m refinancing of the Family’s UK residential property (November 2016);
- Advising a HNWI on his investment into a Jersey Limited Partnership Debt Fund (October 2016)
- Advising an angel investor in respect of his proposed investment in a cyber-security company (September 2016);
- Advising a fitness company on an investment from a venture capital trust (August 2016;
- Advising a trustee seller on the sale of shares in special purpose vehicle (July 2016);
- Advising a Bermudan SPV borrower on its $30m refinancing of an Airbus A-320 airplane (July 2016);
- Advising an angel investor in respect of his proposed investment in a manufacturer of vitamins and health supplements (July 2016);
- Advising a technology company in the health sector on an EIS fund raise (April 2016);
- Acting in relation to the sale of a commercial cleaning company to a multi-national professional support services provider (April 2016);
- Advising the founders of an Forex company on the sale of their shares to a private equity fund (March 2016)
- Acting for the founders of a UK technology company on the sale of their shares to an international services and IT company (March 2016)
- Acting for a portfolio company of a German VC in relation to the purchase of a company specialising in lead generation in the UK (Feb 2016)
- Advising an IT services company on its re-organisation and on a buyback of shares from certain of its founders (Jan 2016)
- Advising an entrepreneur on the purchase of a West End restaurant (Jan 2016)
- Advising an institutional borrower on the acquisition finance of a £90m property portfolio and subsequent restructuring (December 2015);
- Advising a Private Family Office on the re-financing of its £80m property portfolio (December 2015).
Partner and Head of Department
"We have worked with James and his team for many years and whenever we refer a client across we know they will be well looked after. Not only are James and his team highly technically able, they understand the importance of working to get a deal done. We always know we can trust their judgement."
Janet Paterson, Charter Tax