How to fund a Medical Negligence or Personal Injury claim?

"They are a Rolls-Royce firm that operates smoothly and to a very high level." Chambers UK, A Client's Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2020

We offer a number of options for funding personal injury and medical negligence claims.

Conditional Fee Agreements (“no win, no fee”)

Many cases are funded through “no win, no fee” agreements, known as a Conditional Fee Agreements (CFAs), which cover our fees for working on your case.

We help clients to obtain an “After The Event” (ATE) insurance policy to cover other expenses (such as experts’ fees).

In almost all cases, if your claim is not successful, you do not have to pay anything at all.

If your case is successful, we are usually able to recover a large proportion of the costs from the Defendant.   You will probably need to contribute, from your compensation, towards costs which cannot be recovered from the Defendant (examples of these costs are the Success Fee and insurance premium).

We want you to understand every aspect of your case.  If you wish to fund your case with a Conditional Fee Agreement, we will provide you with detailed information and discuss any queries you may have.

Legal Expenses Cover

If you have legal expenses cover, either as a standalone insurance policy or as part of another insurance policy (such as your household or credit card insurance), you may be able to use it to fund some, or all, of your claim. 

You might also have legal expenses cover through your membership of a Trade Union or other organisation.  

If you believe that you may have cover for legal expenses, please let us know at the beginning of your case. 

Even where an Insurer has its own preferred solicitors, we may still be able to act for you under the policy.

Legal Aid Funding

Legal Aid (funding by the State) is not available for personal injury claims or most types of medical negligence. 

Legal Aid is still available for claims on behalf of children who have sustained neurological injury (brain damage) causing severe disability, where the negligence occurred prior to, or in the weeks immediately following, birth.

We are one of a small number of specialist law firms accredited to offer Legal Aid funding for these medical negligence claims.   If Legal Aid funding might be available for your child’s case, we can make an application for funding on your behalf.

Privately funding a claim

You may wish to consider funding your claim privately, if other funding options are not available to you or you would prefer not to use them.   

We will discuss with you the pros and cons of privately funding a claim before we begin work on your case.

Please note

The above information describes the funding options which may be offered by Kingsley Napley.  Not all of these options will be available or appropriate for every case.  We will help you to consider which option is appropriate for you.

If you wish to bring a claim and are uncertain about funding, please contact us.

Skip to content Home About Us Insights Services Contact Accessibility