In the course of her clinical negligence work Aideen acts for clients in claims against their GP, hospital or health providers in relation to injuries suffered as a result of wrong treatment, surgical error, delay or missed diagnosis.
In terms of personal injury work, Aideen represents clients injured in road traffic accidents, accidents at work accidents on public property, and in sexual abuse claims.
Aideen acts for clients from all walks of life and understands that bringing a claim can often seem daunting. She communicates effectively to ensure that the process is understandable and clients feel comfortable and involved in their case.
Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence claims invariably arise out of tragic and difficult circumstances and Aideen is both empathetic and professional.
Aideen studied Law and German at University College Cork in Ireland. She obtained a Masters in Criminology and Criminal Justice from Kings College London and a distinction in the Legal Practice Course at BPP University.
Notable cases clinical negligence
- Working on the settlement of a multi-million pound claim for a child who suffered profound brain damage following negligent treatment during and after an ENT procedure.
- Investigating a claim for a gentleman who was left paraplegic following the negligent delay in diagnosing and treating a spinal epidural haematoma.
- Working on a claim against a mental health facility on behalf of the family of a gentleman (a husband, father and successful businessman) who due to negligent psychiatric care was able to commit suicide following admission to the facility.
- Investigating a claim on behalf of a child who suffers from cerebral palsy. It is alleged that his condition could have been avoided had the child’s mother’s labour, and his delivery not been negligently mismanaged.
- Investigating a claim on behalf of a child who suffered hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (lack of oxygen to the brain) and a brachial plexus injury during his delivery.
- Investigating a claim on behalf of a child who suffers from cerebral palsy and other injuries, after she contracted the herpes simplex virus during birth.
- Investigating a claim on behalf of a young woman who suffered severe audio vestibular (and resulting psychiatric injuries) following a massive overdose of an antibiotic to treat post natal infection.
- Investigating a claim on behalf of a young woman who was so badly injured following a negligent termination procedure that she required a hysterectomy. Her ureter was also damaged resulting in additional uro-gynaecological injuries.
- Investigating a claim on behalf of a mother who suffered a Grade 3C tear in her perineum (extending into the anus) when delivering her baby. It is alleged that the baby was too large to be born naturally, and the woman should have been advised to have a caesarean section.
- Working on a claim for a child who suffered renal failure as a result of a negligent delay in diagnosing infection. As a result of this she developed cardiovascular, respiratory and renal complications. In addition when the child was transferred to a second hospital a feeding tube was negligently misplaced into her lung causing her to suffer a brain injury.
- Working on a claim for a woman who underwent a J-pouch surgery to treat ulcerative colitis. Our client was not appropriately advised of the risks and benefits of the surgery, and the surgery itself was negligently performed. The woman suffered significant post-surgical complications and repeated episodes of infection until the J-pouch was finally removed. She continues to suffer from injuries sustained as a result of the surgery.
- Investigating a claim on behalf of a young father, in relation to the negligent delay in diagnosing cancer which had metastised to his spine. This resulted in a life changing spinal cord injury, meaning our client can no longer work or look after his children.
Notable cases personal injury
- Working on the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court case of Brownie vs The Four Seasons, an extremely complex personal injury claim arising out of the death of Sir Ian Brownlie QC in a car accident in Egypt.
- Working on a multimillion pound claim for a young woman who suffered a life changing degloving injury to her foot and severe lower limb injuries, when a car collided with her as she was riding her motorcycle.
- Investigating a claim for a young woman who was rendered paraplegic following an accident in a shopping centre.
- Acting for a young man who suffered severe injuries, including a very serious brachial plexus injury, when a car plowed into him as he was riding his motorcycle.
- Acting for a woman who suffered open fractures to her tibia and fibula and a right arm degloving injury; when she was knocked down while crossing the road in Central London.
- Acting for a vulnerable young woman who was exploited and sexually abused by a man much older than her (a successful businessman and public figure). This caused a severe deterioration in her mental health.
- Working on the six figure settlement of a claim for a young woman who was sexually abused by a celebrity as a child. This resulted in a lifetime of mental health problems for our client.
- Acting for a child who suffered an ophthalmic injury during an accident on school trip to an activity centre.
- Acting for a man who worked for Bristol City Council, and was not trained appropriately on the machinery he was directed to use. This resulted in an accident whereby he lost three of his fingers.
Professional societies and memberships
“Thank you very much for the fantastic job you did for my parents and in particular the kindness and understanding shown to them by all at Kingsley Napley. They were very reluctant litigants but I think they felt they needed to make a claim to have the impairment they had suffered acknowledged. The settlement has given them closure so they can forget the accident ever happened. They are more than happy to put the whole thing behind them.”