Channel Islands and foreign residents receiving treatment in the UK. How do you claim if there is medical negligence?

24 March 2016

If you are resident overseas but you have had medical treatment whilst in the UK, you are still entitled to investigate a claim and obtain compensation for any clinical negligence that has occurred during the course of your treatment.

Provided the treatment took place within a UK based hospital, GP surgery or clinic, either on a private basis or on the NHS, you are entitled to ask questions about the care you have received and where appropriate, seek compensation for any injuries you have sustained as a result of negligence.

At Kingsley Napley, we have a great deal of experience of acting for Claimants who reside outside the UK.

For example, we recently obtained a significant award of compensation for a gentleman who lived in the Channel Islands. He travelled to London for treatment at a large London based NHS hospital. As a result of poor post-operative care, which left him with significant mobility limitations, our client was awarded a significant award of damages, to assist him with daily living and purchasing much needed aids and equipment required as a result of the negligent treatment.

We have acted for clients who reside in many different countries, where the treatment took place in the UK. We are experienced at guiding you through every step of the litigation process and the fact that you may live abroad during the life of the claim, will not hamper us in bringing a claim to a successful conclusion on your behalf.

If you would like advice in relation to a potential clinical negligence claim, please contact the Clinical Negligence and Personal Injury team on 020 7814 1200 or by emailing us at

Share insightLinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email to a friend Print

Email this page to a friend

We welcome views and opinions about the issues raised in this blog. Should you require specific advice in relation to personal circumstances, please use the form on the contact page.

Leave a comment

You may also be interested in:

Skip to content Home About Us Insights Services Contact Accessibility