International families and the price of child relocation without consent

28 June 2018

The recent case of a British mother of three young children who was extradited from the United States to England to face criminal charges relating to child abduction and passport fraud serves as a stark reminder of the heartbreaking predicament that an international family can face upon the breakdown of a relationship.

In October 2015 the mother moved from England to Alaska to live with her American husband. She had given birth to their son in May 2015. She already had two daughters from her previous marriage to a British man. She took all three children to Alaska with her, despite having previously been refused permission to do so by her daughters’ father and the English court.

It is a criminal offence in England for a parent to remove a child from the United Kingdom without the consent of all other persons with parental responsibility for that child (usually the other parent) or a court order. In the present case, the children’s father reported the mother’s abduction of their daughters to the English police. In due course an extradition request was made to the US. In January 2018 the mother was detained pending her extradition to UK (which took place in April 2018), leaving her daughters in Alaska with their stepfather and younger half-brother. The mother is now in custody in England awaiting a criminal trial and the family remains separated across two continents.

The situation is catastrophic for all involved: the daughters have not seen their father since they left the UK, the father will most likely have to ask the Alaskan courts to deal with the arrangements for his daughters as the children are now settled in Alaska, and the mother is in custody with all three children being deprived of any contact with her.

For the events of 2015 to lead to criminal proceedings and a successful extradition request is unusual. Moreover, such circumstances do not necessarily result in the return of the child. More usually, and effectively, the left behind parent will apply for the child’s return pursuant to the Hague Convention 1980 on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, to which both England and the USA are signatories. The Hague Convention seeks to protect children from the harmful effects of abduction and retention across international boundaries by providing a procedure for their prompt return. As a result, parents who have relocated without permission can find themselves in a position where their children are ordered to return to the country that they have left, causing both emotional and practical difficulties.

London is home to many international families, from the USA and elsewhere, many of whom move here to follow the main breadwinner’s career. If the parents’ relationship breaks down, many people’s first instinct is to want to return to the support of their wider family and network of friends in their native country at this difficult time.

Accordingly many parents living here are surprised to learn that they cannot simply decide to return to their native country with their children without the other parent’s permission, whether for a holiday or a permanent move. My colleagues and I are regularly consulted by parents living here with their children who wish to take their children back to live in their native country with them or who wish to relocate to another country with their children, perhaps to pursue a job opportunity, a better life or a new relationship. Equally we are consulted by parents who want their children to stay with them in England.

If the left behind parent does not agree to the move, the parent who wants to take the child to live abroad has to apply to the court for permission. The parent who wants the child to stay can try to defend the application. In determining an issue regarding a child, the child’s welfare is the court’s paramount consideration. The court has to decide whether it is in the best interests of the child to grant the application, in accordance with the welfare checklist at section 1(3) of the Children Act 1989. The court will want to be satisfied that the parent wishing to relocate has a sensible plan and a genuine reason for wishing to move. Both parents’ actions and motivations will be scrutinized by the court and accordingly it is important for the applicant parent to be as organised as possible from the outset, and to have a realistic plan that supports the relationship between the child and the left behind parent.

The Alaskan case is an extreme and harrowing example, but reminds us that parents should take legal advice as soon as it becomes clear that there may be a dispute about whether or not a child can leave England, whether for a holiday or a permanent relocation. The alternative is to risk the involvement of law enforcement agencies with an appetite to bring criminal and extradition proceedings, and to face the awful consequences that can flow from them.

This blog was first published in The American Magazine, June 2018, and was written by Rachel Freeman, Partner in Family and Sarah Dodds, Associate in Family, with input from Edmund Smyth, Senior Associate in Criminal Litigation.

Further information

If you have any questions about child relocation or abduction, please contact a member of our family or criminal litigation teams.

Choose a specialist area:

Taking Children Abroad

Both parents (if they have parental responsibility) must consent to their child being taken out of the country (even if it is just for a holiday). Failure to obtain such a consent could be classed as child abduction. We have a longstanding reputation in acting for or advising parents who wish to take their child abroad to live and parents who want to prevent such a move.

Child Abduction

Our team of family lawyers act for parents whose children have been abducted and for parents who have removed their children without the necessary consent.

Moving Abroad with Children - Frequently Asked Questions

One of the most difficult situations that can arise following a separation is where one parent wants or needs to move abroad with their child and the other parent does not want to, or cannot, move to the same country. We work with many parents in this situation and have set out below some FAQs to give an overview of some common issues and how they might be tackled.

International Crime and Extradition

Criminal law is increasingly an international concept with cross-border implications. Knowing your rights and options is essential.

International Divorce

Our lawyers have been at the forefront of developments and are recognised leaders in international family law.

International Families

Our expert team of lawyers can help you plan for and protect all of your interests and affairs as you are on the move.

Moving with Children within The UK

The law as to moving within England and Wales has become more in line with applications to relocate abroad. Our team has considerable experience in advising clients who wish to move with their children to a different part of the UK.

International Family Law

Whether you or your partner live abroad or hold assets abroad. We can assist with immigration questions, property, succession and tax planning.

Spending Time with Your Children

Our team recognises the emotional impact of a separation on you and your children. Our advice is tailored towards providing a solution that puts your children first, including advising on complex child contact issues in the UK and cases with an international element.

Considering Divorce or Separation

Considering divorce or separation is stressful and affects people in different ways. Our experienced family lawyers will listen and discuss the options with you.

Share insightLinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email to a friend Print

Email this page to a friend

We welcome views and opinions about the issues raised in this blog. Should you require specific advice in relation to personal circumstances, please use the form on the contact page.

Leave a comment

You may also be interested in:

View all


Expat divorce in Dubai – the challenges of child relocation and navigating UAE residency visa options

Brexit and relocating with children overseas – mind the immigration and family law gaps

Options in the English courts for ‘illegitimate’ children living in the UAE

The Child Arbitration Scheme – resolving family disputes about children outside of court

The ultimate European divorce – what a Brexit vote could mean for UK and EU couples and their children

Close Load more

Ready to find out where you stand?

Our online systems allow you to get started anywhere, any time and you can save your progress.

Click here to get started

Skip to content Home About Us Insights Services Contact Accessibility