Laura Harper is a partner in the Private Client team. Laura joined KN in July 2021 from McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP, a well-respected US private client firm.
She advises both UK resident and non-UK resident/domiciled individuals, families and trustees on a wide variety of UK tax, trust law and international estate planning issues, including the planning to be undertaken when moving to or from the UK. She also has extensive experience working on cross-border matters and structuring involving family-owned businesses.
She regularly works closely with our immigration team and family team to provide families with the full services KN are proud to offer.
She has also developed an in-depth charity law knowledge and regularly advises and presents on the benefits of dual registered charities in the US and the UK, allowing national institutions, family office clients and UHNW individuals to structure their philanthropic projects in the most tax efficient and effective manner.
She also has experience of the following areas:
- cross border power of attorney and deputyship applications and use of such powers;
- Laura has recently published an article on the tax considerations of leaving the UK to realise capital gains in crypto currencies which first appeared on Wealthbriefing on 20 September 2021.
- Laura has had published articles in STEP Canada and in Legal Week concerning the resealing of foreign grants and on the recent developments of the Trust Registration Service.
- She is also due to present at the STEP Jersey annual conference on continuing disclosure and governance issues for trustees.
- She has also been invited to present at the Cazanove Responsibility of Wealth course.
Additional qualifications and accolades
- Laura is a fully qualified member of STEP and has completed the STEP Advanced Certificate in UK Tax for International Clients.
- She was noted as “one to watch” in Chambers and Partners Rankings 2019.
- She was selected in the Top35 under 35 by ePrivate Client.
- She was nominated to be included on the shortlist for the 2021 Citywealth Powerwomen awards under the category: Woman of the Year – Rising Star.
Interests and hobbies
- Laura created a list of 30 things to do in my 30’s and completed the Royal Parks Half Marathon and raised over £1,000 for charity, read all of the booker prize longlist nominees for 2012 over a year, and travelled to Australia.
- She enjoys various sports including swimming, skiing and sailing and hopes to complete her yacht masters course.