"Will brings excellent tactical instincts to his work. He also has brilliant client care skills. He is widely respected by the very best in family law in London and in the South West. He is definitely one to watch in the family law world"
Legal 500 UK, 2020
Will is a partner in Kingsley Napley’s Family & Divorce team and he advises clients on the full range of family law issues arising on the breakdown of relationships. He has a particular interest in resolving complex financial claims often with an international element. He has over 13 years of experience having spent his formative years at Withers in London.
He also advises on arrangements for children following the breakdown of a relationship.
On the non-contentious side, he is frequently instructed by families to advise on wealth protection issues and nuptial and cohabitation agreements.
Specific areas of expertise include:
- financial claims on divorce often with assets held abroad or in corporate or trust structures;
- jurisdiction disputes and financial claims following a foreign divorce;
- advising clients wishing to vary or terminate ongoing maintenance payments;
- wealth protection including advising on domestic and international prenuptial and postnuptial agreements to protect businesses, trust interests and inherited wealth;
- advising on cohabitation agreements to avoid property disputes between unmarried couples;
- child arrangements disputes and acting for parents wishing to relocate abroad with their children; and
- financial claims for children brought by unmarried parents.
His clients have included professional sportspeople (including premiership football and rugby players), investment bankers, city professionals, entrepreneurs, business owners and landowners. His recent international work has involved other jurisdictions including Russia, Brazil, France, Italy, China, Serbia and the USA (Illinois and California) and he has worked closely with lawyers in those jurisdictions to achieve his client’s aims.
Where possible, Will seeks to settle cases without the need for contested court proceedings but he will fight his client’s corner if required.
- M v M  EWHC 2534 (Fam)
- Re S (A Child) (Abduction: Hearing the Child)  EWCA Civ 155
What directories and clients have said
- ‘Will MacFarlane is a very talented solicitor who is excellent with clients’. Legal 500, 2020
- ‘You never failed to make me feel supported.’ AK, client
- ‘Will walked me through an incredibly intense, difficult and painful time. When it felt like there was a mountain of pressure, Will walked beside me and shielded me. He was professional, insightful and compassionate. He was very kind but very tough when I needed to be protected. I can’t recommend him highly enough.’ RA, client
- ‘Will offered clear and concise advice whilst being open and engaging. He also sought to achieve the best outcome for me whilst always being clear with me about the realistic outcome.’ KH, client
- ‘Will MacFarlane has the ability to quickly grasp the salient facts in a situation, to explain the applicable law clearly and succinctly and to give a measured account of probable outcomes. His intellectual clarity and human warmth are reassuring to clients involved in family law proceedings which often involve considerable personal stress.’ SM, client
- ‘I can’t thank you enough. You’ve been an absolute hero and I’m so grateful for all your advice. Thank you for your perseverance and support.’ CH, client
- ‘I sought Will’s help after an unsatisfactory experience with another law firm. Will led me through my divorce process with such ease while handling everything in a very professional, pragmatic and empathetic manner. Finally my affairs became much less stressful knowing I had somebody trustworthy and highly experienced to get me to the end point. Will was a pleasure to deal with from beginning to end, great manner and great results and I wouldn’t think twice about recommending him to others.’ BF, client
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- ‘Striving for a fair result? Attacking real estate held by offshore companies’ Trusts and Estates Law and Tax Journal, April 2014
- Quoted in, ‘Coming soon: a divorce where no one is to blame’, the Times on 13 September 2018
- Delivered a talk at the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales annual conference in November 2017 on valuation issues in Family Law
- Answered readers’ questions on spousal maintenance in FT Money, 23 September 2018
- Quoted in ‘Pass the word on security’, Your Money (Daily Express), 6 February 2019
- University of St Andrews, Modern History MA (Hons)
- BBP Law School, London, PGDL and LPC
"Will MacFarlane is a very talented solicitor who is excellent with clients."
Legal 500, 2020
"You never failed to make me feel supported."
"Will walked me through an incredibly intense, difficult and painful time. When it felt like there was a mountain of pressure, Will walked beside me and shielded me. He was professional, insightful and compassionate. He was very kind but very tough when I needed to be protected. I can’t recommend him highly enough.’"