Our top ranked immigration team is recognised by other leading law firms that trust us to assist with their UK immigration matters. We have long standing relationships with many of the largest law firms in the world, including international US firms with a presence in the UK.
We have assisted the Law Society with advising law firms on preparations for a no deal Brexit and one of our team sits on the Law Society’s immigration law committee. We also assisted the Home Office in drafting the Immigration Rules for lawyers entering the UK as visitors.
We have a clear understanding of the immigration issues which law firms routinely face on a day to day basis, including for example:
- Employment law teams that require external assistance on technical immigration matters, including in TUPE and right to work situations
- Corporate lawyers who need assistance in corporate transactions involving due diligence on staff from overseas and where there is a change in ownership of a client sponsor licence holding company
- Transferring staff from international offices into the UK as efficiently as possible
- Advising on the sponsorship of self-employed partners
- Lateral hires of talented lawyers
- Recruitment of staff from overseas into all areas of a law firm’s business including marketing and business development, IT and finance as well as non-UK qualified lawyers and paralegals
- Moving trainees around the world for seats in another office as part of a Training Contract
- Internship programmes for recent graduates and use of the Law Society’s Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) scheme
EXAMPLES OF OUR WORK
- Advising the Law Society on how law firms should prepare for a no deal Brexit outcome
- Acting for a major US law firm on the transfer of staff from international offices into the UK to work on urgent client projects
- Advising in relation to UK graduates switching from law degrees and the LPC to the Skilled Worker category
- Advising on the use of the Intra-Company Transfer (Graduate Trainee) route for trainee solicitors rotating into the UK as part of a Training Contract
- Advising on non-UK qualified lawyers with Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visas switching into the Skilled Worker category
- Advising on the viability of paralegal and legal assistant roles for Skilled Worker applications, including in relation to minimum salary thresholds
- Advising on the compliance requirements where sponsored workers are required to go on client secondments
- Providing coordinated advice with employment lawyers on the right to work of staff
- Assisting with fresh sponsor licence applications where there is a change in ownership of a law firm
- Assisting law firms in securing visas for other countries through our trusted partner network
- Advising on the permitted business visitor activities of lawyers entering the UK, including lawyers required to advise a UK client on international litigation/transactions and expert witnesses giving evidence in court
FULL SERVICE LEGAL ADVICE FOR LAW FIRMS
We are a full service law firm and are able to work collaboratively with our colleagues in other departments to provide you with the comprehensive services law firms require.
Across our firm we have a commitment to the legal sector, as shown in our specialist immigration, employment and regulatory group.
Partner and Head of Department
Ilda de Sousa
Immigration Advisor (Global Lead)
Senior Immigration Advisor
Jessica Jim 詹穎怡
Professional Support Lawyer