Robert is a solicitor specialising in construction and engineering law. He sits within the real estate team.
His practice focuses on transactional construction work in the real estate development sector. Robert has experience of working for a range of clients including developers, 'employers', funders, purchasers, landlords, tenants, contractors, consultants and sub-contractors. He also provides construction dispute advice.
Robert holds a LLB in English Law & French Law from King's College London and a Masters 1 en Droit from the university Paris 1 (Panthéon-Sorbonne).
Recent construction contract experience
- Dealing with a suite of construction documents (including consultants’ appointments, early works arrangements, building contract and ancillary documents, utilities framework agreement and development phase contracts) in relation to a circa 620 acre mixed use development site in Northamptonshire.
- Advising the development arm of a major European building contractor on the construction aspects of a development agreement for student accommodation in Southampton.
- Drafting and advising a specialist regeneration developer on the construction documentation (and the construction aspects of the agreement for lease and development agreement) for both phases of the conversion of a historic building in Sheffield into student accommodation.
- Negotiating a suite of professional team appointments for a client based overseas in relation to the re-development of a Grade II listed mansion into a 5* hotel.
- Advising on the construction documentation for the conversion of a museum into a lifestyle club.
- Drafting and negotiating a suite of construction management documentation (including professional team appointments, bespoke trade contracts and collateral warranties) for the development of a large tower block to be used as a hotel and residential flats. Advising on the construction related aspects of the facility agreement and the agreement for lease.
- Advising ‘one-off employer’ GP surgery clients on construction documentation for medical centre developments throughout the UK (including amendments to JCT standard/design and build building contract terms, professional appointments, collateral warranties, security instruments, letters of intent and associated documentation).
- Advising a Swedish technology company in relation to the construction documentation for the base build works (due diligence) and fit-out works (drafting and negotiation) for the construction of a factory in Warwickshire.
- Advising the freeholder, the investment arm of a leading architectural design consultancy, in relation to the construction elements of the licence for alterations and undertaking due diligence work on the construction documentation in relation to a top floor extension proposed by the tenant to an iconic London riverside office building.
- Construction due diligence work for one of the world’s largest banks providing finance for a series of retirement home developments throughout the UK.
- Advising an international quantity surveying practice on a variation to its appointment terms in relation to a student accommodation project.
recent construction dispute experience
- Advising a residents’ management company in relation to a defects claim against the project manager and building contractor on a residential development in Surrey.
- Advising a property fund in relation to a defects claim against the seller and building contractor on a residential development in London.
Robert is a committee member of the London Constructing Excellence Club and is a member of the Society of Construction Law.
He also guest lectures each year on the Oxford/Cambridge college based residential week of a MSc course in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution.
French (fluent) and Spanish (advanced)
publications and press
‘When can your client terminate the contract?’, Construction News, 27 July 2018
‘Unclear contract terms: Sign up to them at your peril’, Construction News, 27 June 2017
'Reports from the Courts: April 2014', Construction Law Magazine