"Incredibly thorough and very down to earth - he can see through to what's important on a case."
Chambers UK 2021
Nick is an experienced criminal defence lawyer with experience in a broad range of criminal defence and white collar crime cases.
Nick has significant experience at handling criminal cases from the interview under caution to the conclusion of a case.
He frequently advises individuals who are under investigation or immediately following their arrest and is acutely aware of the emotional distress and pressure that this can entail. Nick has particular experience in acting on behalf of people who are in the public eye whose reputation and livelihood are at stake. He has represented A-list celebrities, entertainers, politicians, sportsmen and professionals.
Nick works discretely and collaboratively with other professionals (including other teams at Kingsley Napley) in order to best manage his client’s affairs. The holistic approach taken towards advising clients is an important feature in avoiding adverse publicity and managing the reputation of high profile individuals. Nick is adept at steering his clients through the initial crisis of being arrested and is sensitive to privacy issues arising in high profile cases.
Nick has particular expertise in advising on:
- Complex fraud and financial crime;
- Sexual offences;
- Road traffic prosecutions;
- Drugs offences; and
- Allegations of serious violence.
He also has experience of complex cases involving investigations brought by a range of investigatory bodies, including:
- The Serious Fraud Office (SFO);
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA);
- The City of London Police;
- The Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS); and
- The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).
He advises on ancillary matters such as:
- Challenging police bail conditions;
- Police Property Act cases;
- Applications to expunge cautions as well as the deletion of DNA and sample evidence; and
- Appeals against conviction and sentence.
Complex Fraud and Financial Crime
- Secured acquittal at Trial for lead defendant in the Libor “Brokers Trial”;
- No Further Action taken against Company Accountant in Insider Dealing Investigation;
- No Further Action taken against a sophisticated and speculative share dealer, who traded by coincidence in an insider dealing investigation; and
- Represented numerous individuals in “Cartels” investigations by the CMA.
- No Further Action taken against celebrity following a complaint arising from the “#MeToo” disclosures;
- Secured acquittal at trial of a young professional accused of rape where neither party could remember what had happened;
- Secured acquittal of step-father accused of sexually assaulting his step-daughter in a historical allegation initiated during the course if an acrimonious divorce;
- No Further Action taken against a teenage boy in circumstances where sexual allegations arose from a boarding school complaint;
- No Further Action taken against three members of a professional family who were alleged to have assaulted another person outside a restaurant; and
- No Further Action taken against professional footballer accused of sexual assault.
Criminal Defence and Police Investigations
- No Further Action taken in “kidnapping” case where the defence of lawful excuse was raised in the Police Station;
- Acquittal of a Defendant charged with breaching a Restraining Order; Harassment; Common Assault and Criminal Damage in circumstances where a malicious complaint had been made by an ex-partner;
- No Further Action taken in Controlling and Coercive behaviour case;
- No Further Action taken in an investigation into possession of indecent images, where the defence raised was for “research purposes”;
- No Further Action in alleged “hit and run” road traffic matter;
- Successful defence of banker accused of assaulting colleague, by way of inflicting psychiatric injury on the basis of words alone; and
- Prosecution of client accused of voyeurism discontinued where defence investigations demonstrated that it was impossible for the offence to have been committed.
Professional Memberships and Societies
He has extremely good judgement and tactical skills."
Chambers UK 2021
It was reassuring to know that you were there for me. Your professional approach in dealing with the police officers involved with the case was exceptional, giving to me the confidence in which I was lacking, having never been in that situation before."
I just don't know how to put it in words my gratitude and appreciation for your amazing support and impressive work. But most of all, I want to thank you for being you, listening and being steady a as rock in an earthquake of a situation."
Nick is a total professional, and balanced with his straightforward and common sense guidance, which was exactly what we required."
...have thought about how different my future may have been without your dedication and magnificence."