"Jim Sawer is a leading practitioner in the domestic and international tax and trusts arena."
Legal 500 UK 2021
Jim Sawer has a broad private client practice which is predominantly tax and trust driven.
Having qualified as a solicitor in 1983, Jim has acted as principal trusted adviser to families, both in the UK and overseas, and with commercial and landed interests, for over 30 years. Clients and fellow professionals appreciate his ability to identify the true crux of a matter promptly and his inventive, can-do, and results orientated approach to resolving private client issues in the commercial and family context.
He is described as “accomplished” and an “expert on tax and trusts” by the Legal 500. His practice continues to grow with referrals not only from existing clients but from private banks, law firms and accountants based both in the UK and worldwide, particularly Southern and Eastern Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.
What Clients and directories say
He is practical, straight to the point and very constructive, he gives sound advice and is very client-friendly. He is very personable, responds promptly and communicates in a clear and easy-to-understand manner."
Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2020
Jim Sawer has outstanding interpersonal skills and offers five-star service. He is able to explain complex legal matters in simple terms. He has excellent communication skills and gives sensible, practical legal advice.”
Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2019
For many years Jim was the principal writer/presenter of training films on private client issues for the Law Society, he writes regularly for the press, and is in demand as a speaker on tax and trust issues for the financial services/wealth management industry.
Some of Jim's many articles and quotes published in the Media include:
- ‘Failing to do the maths’ The top Inheritance Tax mistakes Britons KEEP making, quoted in The Express, September 2021
- An interview about step-families and wills on BBC Radio London Drivetime with Eddie Nestor, 12 November 2019
- Our relative split her estate between her home and cash but care home fees ate up her savings, so who gets what?, This is Money, 31 October 2019
- Financial Times, 10 September 2019, Should I sign a pre-nup before my second marriage?
- This is Money, 25 March 2019, I want to marry, but avoid disinheriting my adult children: How do I ensure they stay my heirs?
- Modern Family supplement (published with the Guardian), 16 February 2019, Inheritance tax and wills
- The Telegraph, 6 January 2019, Five ways worried parents can protect their family money from messy divorces
- Family Law (LexisNexis), 26 April 2018 - Inheritance rights of Stepchildren
- The Financial Times, 27 February 2018 - Can I change my will to leave everything to my daughter?
- The Financial Times, 8 March 2017 - Should I give my children a lump sum now? I'm concerned they might squander the money. Jim provides the answer in this Q&A section.
- The Times, 31 December 2016 - Ensure your inheritance ends up in the right hands. Jim is quoted within the article, giving his thoughts on the issues raised.
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
Constructive and helpful Jim Sawer - a practical adviser with an ability to communicate difficult concepts in a simple style."
Legal 500 UK 2020
Jim Sawer has an imaginative approach to get solutions."
Legal 500 UK 2020