David joined Kingsley Napley in January 2016 as a newly qualified solicitor within the Real Estate team.
His practice spans a wide variety of commercial and residential clients from high net worth Individuals to joint ventures, boutique developers and entrepreneurs. He is adept at providing efficient and commercially focussed advice with a particular focus on commercial development, investment and financing.
David regularly advises tenants and landlords alike in commercial lease negotiations, striking a balance between protecting his clients’ interests and progressing the transaction to an efficient end. He has extensive experience in portfolio management and estate development negotiating and completing commercial pre-let agreements and associated utility easements on development sites, together with renewals and strategy advice.
He works closely with his portfolio clients at every stage of any transaction, adding value by providing input at the heads of terms stage to streamline the process with standard documents, terms and building good working relationships with the tenants’/ utility provider’s lawyers. David adds further value by finding solutions and compromises when necessary to both protect the client and satisfy the needs of the tenant.
He also works closely with his construction and corporate colleagues dealing with corporate sales and acquisitions and development focussed transactions and takes an active role in corporate due diligence for real estate financing.
Before joining Kingsley Napley David built up significant experience in telecoms leasing, advising a joint venture of two of the largest mobile operators with their 4G roll out and upgrade program.
Areas of expertise
- Development and Infrastructure
- Estate Development
- Landlord and Tenant
- Portfolio Management
- Real Estate Refinancing
- Commercial Acquisitions & Disposals
- Corporate Real Estate
- Acted on a consolidated £110m debt refinance of development portfolio to open up funding for future pipeline developments;
- Acted on a £200m sale of equity in a private/public sector JV of a large commercial development site;
- Acts as project leas on various Multi-let and single let pre-let developments on 700 acre R&D science park with rentals up to £500,000 per annum;
- Acted for a hotel owner/operator with a Hotel/health spa lease re-gear together with associated Investment Sale to a REIT with a value in excess of £13m;
- Acted for an American publicly listed investment firm on their £8m acquisition of a grade II listed central London office together with leaseback.
What clients and directories have said
- David has shown creativity in dealing with complex matters, the highest level of professionalism and support throughout, whilst going extra mile when providing advice and effectively becoming an extended arm of our team.
- David’s approach is consistently thorough and well thought through yet efficient. His understanding of our business is similarly thorough and his calm personable nature has ensured that we regard him as an integral part of our team.
Publications and press
- Founder of the KN Property Done Properly Podcast Launched in May 2020;
- Published co-authored article on ‘Indexed Rent Reviews – are we getting them right?’ in the Property Law Journal in 2018.
- Regular Blogger for Kingsley Napley Real Estate
Professional societies and memberships
- SRA – Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Law Society
- JLD – Junior Lawyers Division
- LMA – Loan Market Association
- AIJA – International Association of Young Lawyers
- Current the firms Entertainments Committee chair with notable leads in respect of the firm's Christmas Party offering;
- An active member of firm’s touch rugby team;
- One of the ‘Celebrities’ in the Kingsley Napley ‘Strictly Come KN’ event in 2018;
- An avid and keen skier;