Brandusa is a Partner in the Real Estate team, specialising in construction and engineering. She is ranked in Chambers and Partners 2020 under Construction: Purchaser - London. Brandusa has a particular interest in diversity and inclusion issues and is a member of the Kingsley Napley Diversity and Inclusion group, the LGBT and allies network, and the BAME & allies network.
Brandusa trained with Taylor Wessing LLP and spent nine years in their construction and engineering practice before joining Kingley Napley. Brandusa is a highly experienced construction solicitor described by Chambers UK as a “very capable lawyer” with a “broad non-contentious practice”.
Brandusa has acted for both domestic and international clients (developers, contractors, high net worth individuals, investors, lenders and real estate funds) on a variety of projects (high-end residential, commercial, mixed use schemes, infrastructure, leisure, student accommodation). Brandusa has two core areas of expertise:
- specialising in providing transactional construction and engineering advice and documentation from project inception through to completion, with particular focus on real estate and infrastructure projects, development/acquisition, finance transactions; and
- acting in the field of renewable energy (solar) developments, for both investors and contractors.
Brandusa has drafted and used standard forms, bespoke contracts and framework agreements, as well as forward sale, development, development management, funding and joint venture agreements.
Examples of Brandusa’s experience include:
- Acting for a developer in connection with the drafting and negotiation of the construction suite of documents for the infrastructure works for development parcels to be subsequently sold to house builders. The planning permission is for 3,000 new homes, 25,000 sq metres of high quality commercial, retail, health and leisure facilities together with swathes of public open space. Negotiating the framework agreement and form of development phase contracts to be entered into for the electricity, gas and water infrastructure works. Input in the negotiation of the sale agreements with the various purchasers. Acting in relation to the refinancing of an existing facility in connection with the acquisition and development of the site by the client.
- Acting for leading property groups in relation to various iconic London buildings, high specification office and residential developments.
- Procurement advice for the development of a building in the City of London which will comprise a leading international hotel and high specification residential apartments.
- Drafting and negotiating the Building Contract for renovation works at a high end residential property in London’s Belgravia. Advising on the construction security aspects of a multi-million facility agreement entered into by the client.
- Drafting and negotiating the construction suite of documents (based on a management contracting procurement route) for the conversion of the six-storey former Land Registry building in Peterborough to provide 116 residential dwellings. Negotiating the construction aspects of a forward sale agreement to an institutional buyer.
- Construction due diligence in relation to various lettings for offices across the UK of a major international audit, tax and consultancy practice. Negotiating the agreements for lease and licences to alter.
- Acting for an overseas developer undertaking the re-development of an existing building in the City of London, with funding from a major UK bank. The development included a new facade, further improvements to the existing facades and a new eighth floor with a roof terrace. Drafting and negotiating the entire suite of construction documents (consultants’ appointments, building contract and ancillary documents) and the construction security package (including an escrow agreement) to be offered to the funder. Following practical completion of the development, advising in connection with the construction aspects of the letting of the property.
- Advising a major UK developer on the development obligations in the terms of a sale-purchase agreement for the sale of one of its standing and under construction student accommodation portfolios.
- Advising banks (acting alone or as part of syndicates) in relation to the construction aspects of acquisition and development finance deals, including undertaking reviews of the finance documents and related development agreements, due diligence on all construction documents, negotiating amendments required by the financiers, monitoring conditions precedent and subsequent to development drawdowns, writing construction reports for the banks and liaising extensively with project monitors in relation to technical aspects of the construction documents.
- Acting for a hotel occupier in relation the construction of a number of new-build purpose hotels throughout the UK including input in the Agreements for Lease and approval of construction documents.
- Regularly acting for one of the leading contractors in the construction and operation of solar powered plants in relation to the development of a portfolio of solar power located around the UK. Advising on the negotiation and agreement of the turnkey EPC Contracts and Operation and Maintenance Agreements for each site together with the ancillary documentation (including performance security arrangements). Also advised on sub-contract arrangements with the design and construction supply chain.
- Regularly acting for a German investor in connection with the acquisition solar farms across the UK.
Publications and press:
- ‘CDM Regulations – All Change’, Construction News, 6 October 2014
- ‘Confusion over Net Contribution Clauses’, Construction News, 17 June 2013
- Contributor to maintaining the Construction section of RICS isurv
- Contributor to The Daisy Chain
Professional societies and memberships
Brandusa is a member of the following societies and associations:
- Society of Construction Law (SCL)
- The Technology and Construction Solicitors Association (TeCSA)
- Women in Property
- International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- Listed as one of the Top 40 under 40 Fast Rising Stars in the UK Construction Industry by Building Magazine in 2010
- Noted as an "Associate to watch," in Chambers 2015 and Chambers 2014.
Romanian (mother tongue) and French (intermediate).
never gives up until she gets the client the result that they want
Chambers and Partners, A client's guide to the UK's leading solicitors, 2019
She's always thinking about what she can do to help out in a situation...she has a really good understanding of the law, but also the bigger picture in terms of clients' objectives"
Chambers UK, A client's guide to the UK legal profession, 2018
Very capable lawyer"
a broad non-contentious practice”