The team has acted on a range of disputes relating to Rights of Light issues including:
- Acting for a charitable trust on the multi-million pound development of its London headquarters. Dealing with all rights of light issues arising with the surrounding occupiers including the negotiation of, drafting and completion of the deeds of release;
- Acting for a retailer and a housing association joint venture in relation to rights of light issues arising out of their joint redevelopment of the old Victoria bus garage site in Pimlico including service of light obstruction notices, drafting deeds of release and advising generally on strategy;
- Advising a supermaket on the rights of light aspects of the demolition of its existing buildings and planning consent obtained for a new landmark building on the site as part of a package for an investment sale. This included advising on strategy in relation to both commercial and residential premises, the service of light obstruction notices and related proceedings, the analysis of leasehold interests and historic building agreements dealing with the height of new buildings and drafting settlement agreements;
- Acting for a German fund against a bank and advising of historic building deeds and also the intended use by the local authority of powers under Section 237 of the Town and County Planning Act 1980 to circumvent private law remedies;
- Advising numerous developers (both commercial developers and residential housebuilders) on rights of light strategy including the use of light obstruction notices, negotiation strategies and getting the agreement of local authorities to utilise their powers under Section 237 of the Town and County Planning Act 1980 in the absence of agreement.