Head of Finance
9.30 am to 5.30 pm, and as required
Monday - Friday
Purpose of job:
As Head of Finance you will report into and assist the CFOO with the management and development of the firm’s finance function, with a view to improving and developing its financial processes, information and value-add across the business. The individual will have solid commercial experience, and be able to demonstrate that they have worked closely with practice areas to improve profitability. They will also be responsible for developing and executing the wider finance strategy, collaborating closely with the senior leadership team.
Duties to include:
- Actively manage and lead the firm’s finance team
- As the key business partner to the legal practice areas,- providing insight into the profitability of specific work and clients through the use of profitability and other business intelligence tools.
- Take an active role in revenue and credit control management to improve upon the current lockup performance of the firm
- Cash flow management and regularly oversight and control of the firm’s banking facilities, relationships and systems
- Overseeing the production of the firm’s management reporting as well as the annual and quarterly financial reports and statements
- Ensure the firm is fully compliant with all regulatory requirements
- Producing and reconciling partner accounts on an annual basis as well as dealing with the partnership’s tax requirements
- Preparation of the quarterly VAT return
- Maintaining the integrity of the firm’s balance sheet
- Assist in management and development of current systems
- Assist in the development and improvement of business intelligence across all levels of the firm
- End user training on the firm’s finance systems and business intelligence tools
- Collating ideas and initiatives, coordinating priorities with FSM, mediating with team members on priorities and changes and technical sounding board
- Pricing for RFP, fee estimates, client and matter reviews on request
Managing the team:
- To provide leadership, encouragement and management to all members of the team and act as a coach and facilitator.
- Train the team on policies, procedures and service delivery
- Monitor individual workflow and capacity
- Conduct performance appraisals and monitor performance
- Provide regular feedback to the team outside of the annual appraisals
- Raise performance issues with the CFOO and Human Resources Department as appropriate
- Deal with performance management issues
- Identify training and development needs within the team
- Motivate and encourage
- Work with the CFOO and Human Resources Department with regards to recruitment for the team, to include identifying recruitment needs, liaising with the Recruitment Manager, shortlisting applications, conducting interviews and evaluating candidates.