Browse people by category
William provides advice on family law and especially cases with an international element. He is a dual Franco-British national and a bilingual French speaker. Many of his cases have a French or European cross-border angle. William is a Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
Areas of expertise include
- Divorce and separation;
- Pre-nuptial agreements;
- Disputes between unmarried couples; and
- Financial arrangements for children and parenting issues.
William’s clients are drawn from a wide range of backgrounds including professional families, entrepreneurs and those in the finance industry. He is a trained mediator and collaborative lawyer.
William has acted for clients in cases which establish new points of law, but above all seeks to give pragmatic advice while fighting the client’s corner.
He regularly gives talks in Paris, London and the US on aspects of international family law.
- Re R (A Child - Relocation)  EWHC 456 (Fam)
- EDG v RR  EWHC 816 (Fam) - High Court case involving European maintenance
What clients and directories say
"He has carved out a niche in cases with a French element"
Legal 500 UK
"I would like to express my sincere thanks for your efforts in achieving a favourable result for N. She can now continue her life with confidence…that is immensely reassuring"
Friend of a client
"He is very effective and took on the case in a serious and committed manner. He is someone to whom you can very much continue to recommend your clients"
Comment from expatriate client in Hong Kong to his French lawyer
"I could not have done it without you; thank you for your patience, understanding and determination to stay at my side, when others perhaps would not have done, I am so grateful"
- Director of Franco-British Lawyers Society
- Accredited Law Society Mediator
- Member of Resolution (the family lawyers’ organisation of England and Wales)
- If Francois Hollande dumps Valerie Trierweiler, what is she entitled to? - Spear's, January 2014
- Commenting in The Evening Standard on the acrimonious multi-million Goldsmith split and the potentially 'toxic' impact of Twitter
- Jones v Kernott - we need an overarching law of financial claims for unmarried couples - The Lawyer, November 2011
- Court rules on unmarried couples' property rights - BBC News, November 2011
- Family Law (Jordans) articles: March 2012 - The impact of foreign matrimonial regimes, January 2012 - Costs orders to fund legal proceedings, June 2011 (International Family Law Journal) - impact of continental family law here, June 2011 - Financial proceedings after foreign divorce; December 2009 - Introduction to French Family Law.
"William Healing is ‘quick to suggest practical solutions, rather than letting the parties dwell on who might be right or wrong’."
Legal 500 UK, 2015
"...a highly effective mediator with particular experience in cases involving French nationals..."
Citywealth Leaders List, 2013
"European jurisdictions expert William Healing, who is ‘stunning in his commitment’"
Legal 500 UK, 2012