The lawyers in our specialist Professional Discipline team have worked with regulatory authorities for several decades, including many major national regulators in the healthcare, accountancy, financial and legal sectors.
Our current regulatory clients include:
- The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
- The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) (formerly the Health Professions Council (HPC))
- The General Dental Council (GDC)
- The General Optical Council (GOC)
- The Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council
- The National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) (formerly the Teaching Agency (TA))
- The Security Industry Authority (SIA)
- The Law Society
- The Chief Police Officers' Staff Association (CPOSA)
- Architect’s Registration Board
Our 30 strong team of lawyers and legally qualified support staff are able to offer an unparalleled service to regulators and public bodies; applying our extensive knowledge and experience of working in the field to the individual disciplinary processes of each of our clients. We offer our clients an unmatched awareness of regulators’ needs, through the operation of a service that maximises cost efficiency, while maintaining excellent standards.
Our range of legal services includes:
- advising on vires, governance, human rights, and statutory interpretation;
- drafting procedural rules and standards, and statutory and non-statutory guidance;
- investigation of allegations of regulatory non-compliance against registrants before disciplinary committees and tribunals;
- presentation and advocacy before tribunals and panels;
- the provision of advice and representation in respect of appeals, including High Court proceedings and judicial review;
- training on law, procedures and the conduct of investigations to panel members, in-house investigating teams and presenting officers; and
- acting as clerks and legal advisors to professional committees.
We are assisted where necessary with expert help from lawyers in related areas within the firm, including public law, criminal litigation, dispute resolution, employment, personal injury, medical negligence and company and commercial.
Acting for such a diverse range of regulators enables us to offer our clients a breadth of experience, helping them to fulfil their statutory and public interest functions whilst remaining accountable to their stakeholders in the most efficient and cost effective ways. Our dedicated team is able to provide clients with an individually tailored service, offering practical and commercial advice, whether on a long-term or ad hoc basis.
If you would like further information, or to speak to one of our specialist solicitors, please contact: Nicola Hill