Kingsley Napley has an established and highly experienced team of professional disciplinary lawyers who act for regulatory bodies in all matters concerning their regulatory functions and operations, including their fitness to practise regimes. We have worked in this field for several decades and have built up considerable knowledge of all of the major regulatory sectors including healthcare, accountancy, financial and legal.
Our 40 strong team of lawyers and legally qualified support staff are able to offer an unparalleled service to regulators and public bodies; applying our extensive knowledge and experience of working in the field to the individual disciplinary processes of each of our clients. We offer our clients an unmatched awareness of regulators’ needs, through the operation of a service that maximises cost efficiency, while maintaining excellent standards.
Our range of legal services includes:
- Advising on vires, governance, human rights, and statutory interpretation;
- Drafting procedural rules and standards, and statutory and non-statutory guidance;
- Investigation of allegations of regulatory non-compliance against registrants before disciplinary committees and tribunals;
- Presentation and advocacy before tribunals and panels;
- Advising and representation regulators in appeals at the High Court and in judicial review proceedings;
- Training on law, procedures and the conduct of investigations to panel members, in-house investigating teams and presenting officers; and
- Acting as clerks and legal advisors to professional committees.
Acting as we do for such a diverse range of regulators, we are able to offer our clients a breadth of experience from different sectors, helping them to better fulfil their statutory and public interest objectives whilst remaining accountable to their stakeholders in the most efficient and cost effective ways. We provide clients with an individually tailored service, and offer practical and commercial advice, whether on a long-term or ad hoc basis.
Through the team, a full range of legal services can be accessed by clients, including from the teams in: public law, criminal litigation, corporate and commercial, dispute resolution, employment, clinical negligence and personal injury. Clients benefit from a single point of contact with multiple specialists advising on all aspects of their operation.
Our current regulatory clients include:
- The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA)
- The Pension Protection Fund (PPF)
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) (formerly the Health Professions Council (HCPC)
- The General Dental Council (GDC)
- The General Optical Council (GOC)
- The National Registers for Communication Professionals for Deaf and Deafblind (NRCPD)
- The Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL)
- The National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) (formerly the Teaching Agency (TA))
- The Security Industry Authority (SIA)
- The Law Society
- The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA)
- The Chief Police Officers' Staff Association (CPOSA)
- Architects Registration Board
If you would like further information, or to speak to one of our specialist solicitors, please contact: Nicola Hill
"...'The lawyers are able to present cases to an exceptional standard, in terms of both advocacy and legal principles'..."
Chambers UK, A Client's Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2014
"Praise rolls in from all fronts for this team, with sources quick to commend it for "listening and responding, turning cases around quickly" and "providing excellent value for money."
Chambers UK, A Client's Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2012