Companies are increasingly exposed to investigations for fraud, insider dealing, money laundering, market abuse, market misconduct, corruption, bribery, cartels and other fraudulent or non-competitive activity, by investigators in the UK and overseas. Both corporations and directors alike may find themselves vulnerable to these kinds of allegations. As with all things, prevention is better and cheaper than cure. It makes sense to have good advice in contentious areas: sound governance enhances shareholder value and provides comfort to directors and key management.
- deal with large-scale investigations both national and international by various bodies and advise individuals, corporations and witnesses. We are experienced in dealing with the US Department of Justice Security Exchange Commission and prosecutors within the UK such as the Financial Services Authority, Serious Fraud Office, and Office of Fair Trading;
- advise on risk management and internal systems and controls to reduce the risk of fraud or other contentious activities in the business place and ensure best practice corporate governance;
- advise companies investigating suspicious activity within their own organisations;l give specialist advice in relation to asset tracing, freezing and recovery orders;
- advise on allegations of cartels, competition and price fixing as well as in relation to "whistle blowing";
- advise on safeguards to protect the company and directors falling foul of new and far-reaching legislation, such as the Bribery Act 2010 and Financial Services Act 2010; and
- support companies' compliance function in the field of money laundering reporting obligations and regulatory compliance. As industry leaders in defending those investigated for both regulatory and criminal offences we are able to offer sound and practical advice to companies and individuals when they need it most.
Click on the following link to read our Investing in the UK brochure.