Browse people by category
Simon is a partner in Kingsley Napley's corporate and commercial team, specialising in IT / IP Law.
In recent years, both IP and IT have been evolving faster than the legal frameworks that regulate them, which makes an exciting but demanding area of law, as the conventional legal concepts are adapted to cope with new media and new concepts of intellectual property.
Simon is well known and highly respected in this complex field of law, and acts for IT providers, ISPs, Domain Name registrants and web designers. He also acts for users, providing legal advice to both the IBM Computer Users' Association and SOCITM.
Before joining the firm in 2010, Simon previously worked at Sprecher Grier Halberstam LLP and Slaughter and May.
Areas of expertise
Simon has particular expertise in dealing with:
- Information technology law
- IT contracts
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Domain name law and disputes
- Gambling law
- Acting for a world-leading hosting and cloud computing service provider on a range of contractual issues and negotiations
- Advising a leading affiliate links company on contractual, privacy and IPR issues
- Acting for a voice recording software supplier to partner with larger telecoms provider in relation to new FSA (now operating as the FCA) requirements
- Advising private and public sector entities on new Cookies legislation
- Advising a data cleansing company on contractual relations with advertising chain
- Representing a US software supplier on sales into UK FMCG companies
- Advising various technology clients on SaaS and Agile services agreements
- Acting in many high-level domain name disputes
Societies and associations
- The Law Society
- Worshipful Information Technologists' Company (WCIT) – head of legal panel
- Society for Computers and Law (SCL)
Publications and press
- 'How to Run a Technology Company – a brief look at the legal, financial, fiscal and exit issues'
- 'How to Run a Mobile App Company – a brief look at the legal, financial, fiscal and exit issues'
- 'Domain Names - A Practical Guide', with Tolleys
- 'Millenium Time Bomb' - Kogan Page
- 'Countdown to 2000' - Butterworths
In what’s left of his spare time, Simon likes to spend time with his family and keeping fit, physically and mentally, by playing tennis, table tennis, darts and Scrabble.
“His attention to detail gave our business a real commercial advantage”