Browse people by category
Miranda is a well-known and highly regarded family lawyer who has extensive experience of all aspects of family law, but is particularly sought after by clients for her pragmatic and tireless work in cases involving complex financial arrangements and substantial assets, often with an international element. She has been described as being “sympathetic and sound”, she specialises in all aspects of family law and has a special interest in surrogacy, about which she has both lectured and written.
Most recently, Miranda along with Emily Moore represented the respondent wife in the now reported case of K v L  EWHC 1234. The case is significant as it deals with the treatment of a substantial premarital inheritance in what was a long marriage. The other factor of particular significance was the relatively modest standard of living throughout the marriage. The respondent was ordered to pay the applicant husband £5.3m from overall assets totalling approximately £59m. The husband challenged the High Court decision unsuccessfully in the Court of Appeal in May 2011 K v L  EWCA Civ 550.
She is a member of Resolution's Children Committee and represented the successful father in the leading 1993 case of Re D (minors) (conciliation: disclosure of information). She is also a Resolution trained mediator. Miranda read history at Cambridge, qualifying as a solicitor in 1981. She joined Kingsley Napley's family team as a partner from Manches in 1995.
What the directories and clients say
- "I would like to thank you both for all your help, consideration and kindness during what has been a stressful and upsetting time. Your professionalism and response to my queries and issues has been first class." Client (2012)
- "thank you so much for being so supportive and doing your job so well." - Client (September 2010)
- "I just wanted to send you a mail to thank you so much for all your wealth of good advice, help and experience ..." Client (February 2010)
- "with sincere appreciation for all your help I couldn't have got through this without you." - Client (2009)
- "I couldn't let this year finish without thanking you once again for all the invaluable help and professional support you have given me in the last two years. I am sure things might not have turned out so well had I not been able to rely on your experience and professional advice. I feel very lucky and extremely grateful." - Client (2008)
- The team includes the "extremely knowledgeable" Miranda Baker. - Legal 500 (2010)
- Miranda Baker is "extremely forthright and oozes charm." She "makes even the most unreasonable person see a bit of sense". - Chambers UK: a client's guide to the legal profession (2007)
- Miranda Baker is described as "sympathetic and sound." - Legal 500 (2007)
Miranda Baker has a special interest in surrogacy and is also recommended.
- Chambers UK: a client's guide to the legal profession (2007)
Miranda Baker maintains her share of market support, and is rated for her "sound judgement".
- Legal 500 (2006)
- Listed as an expert in surrogacy law by the Law Society and Resolution
- Resolution trained mediator
- Lectured, written and given television and press interviews on various family law issues, in particular surrogacy, parental responsibility and other children issues
- Conversational German
Miranda has a keen interest in the arts and in opera in particular. She is also an enthusiastic hill-walker, and may often be found braving the elements in a variety of locations throughout Europe.
“extremely forthright and oozes charm.” She “makes even the most unreasonable person see a bit of sense.”